Controlling Weeds In Your Garden

Category Weeds
No matter if you like to garden just for fun or for growing food for your family, having weeds around is a problem. Getting the weeds under control is an important step to getting the most out of your garden. This is a page about controlling weeds in your garden.

Here's a tip to remove stray weeds, invasive vines or stalks of crabgrass from crowded beds or shrubs, such as junipers, where it's not feasible to spray. Put on rubber or latex gloves, slip cotton gardening gloves over the rubber or latex gloves. Put the herbicide (like Round-up) on the cotton gloves and stroke the offending plant. The rubber or latex gloves protect your hands from the weed killer and the cotton applies it directly to your invasive plant. Works excellent for weedy vines.

By Charbie from St. Johns, MI

Use newspaper as an inexpensive alternative to weed-blocker fabric. Place your plants in the growing location, then lay sheets of newspaper around them and cover with a thin layer of topsoil or mulch to hold the newspaper down and hide it from view. The photo shows how flowers explode when they don't have to compete with weeds!

Source: My own photo; tip from a gardening friend.

By stephanie from Anchorage, AK

After I plant the seeds in my vegetable garden, I lay down 2 layers of newspaper then cover with old hay/straw or free mulch that I get from limbs/trees that have been shredded. I leave space for the seeds to sprout.

In an effort to try to keep the weeds in the vegetable garden down, we mulched our vegetable garden with a sheet of inexpensive black plastic bought from the hardware store.

Tips for removing weeds. Post your ideas.

Place pieces of newspaper between your rows or plants. Each time you mow your lawn, dump your grass clippings over the paper.

You won't have anymore weed problems, and it helps out your soil when you till it under for the next year.

It is up to one and all to prevent noxious weeds from becoming a problem in our areas. I now check the database for noxious weeds in my state so that I may not be guilty of planting them

To rid your flower bed of all the weeds and wild onions that come up in the spring, simply put black plastic over the ground for about 2 days and then remove it and rake up the dead weeds. It is now ready for planting your flowers.

"Knapp Weed" is an invasive species, and hard to get rid of. I would like to know if anyone has an idea for killing it.

Answers

Best Answer

Glyphosate Roundup, is the strongest to get rid of this problem!

Best Answer

If you do not want to kill the dirt in this area and want to replant and grow again I would use a mixture of vinegar and salt to kill them. I have done this in the past and it works well.

You may need to do this each day. Then you need to dig deep into the ground and make sure you get all the roots out of there. That can be the hardest part of all. A machine to turn the ground is best or you will need to have a pick and shovel in order to do this by hand.

What are some inexpensive ideas for managing weeds in my veggie garden? Also, any ideas to keep rabbits from eating all my greens?

I have a small garden, but it is loaded with old weeds with large deep roots from the neighbor, and other weeds. How can I kill the weeds, but still grow veggies in the same dirt. If this is not possible what can be done? What weed killer can you sprinkle on lawns to kill weeds, but not the grass, although there isn't much anymore?

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Peggy B from Philadelphia, PA

Answers

Anonymous

For the grass I would use a weed and feed. It will kill the weeds and feed the grass.

For the garden, I would lay a very thick layer of straw over the weeds, it will keep the weeds from getting sunlight, and after a while, they will die.

If the weeds are out of control, and can't be dealt with by cultivation, you could spray them with Roundup. This will kill everything. Then you can start anew in a new growing season and keep ahead of these weeds with hoeing and hand picking. Anything that kills weeds will kill veggies. And who wants to eat veggies that have been sprayed anyway?

If your weeds are very tall, mulching them is not the answer. Use mulch after you have hoed them out.

You must see if your library system has a book by author Patricia Lanza called Lasagna Gardening. Amazing! She will tell you how to deal with those weeds without using toxic products. Great book.

I agree with the other posts, I had a similar problem. Sprayed with Roundup and had to spray again about 1 month later to kill off new baby weeds. Its not ideal especially as I like organic gardening but I had no choice. Do not compost the dead plants. Hoe/till/dig the whole area and leave over winter (not sure if you have harsh winters but we tend to in the uk!) for the frost/rain to breakdown and then rake in the spring and you should be ok to plant. You need to be looking long term as oppose to short term for your gardening. Also apply as much compost/mulch as you can lay your hands on before planting working this into the soil as much as possible will produce fantastic results and then keep composting and adding this to your garden in the autumn or spring and you will see a massive improvement both in quality of the soil and the goodies which you grow. Happy gardening!

For your lawn? why have one? I got rid of him 12 years ago using a mixture of textiles ie gravel/slabs/planting and have never looked back. Is this possible?

When weeds are bigger I take a small knife and then gather up the whole weed and cut it off at the base by the roots. after doing this you can cover the ground with something that will not let any light through, like black plastic, layers of newspapers, etc. then weight it down. The weeds will not grow if it don't get light. I've done this and it works for me.

Could anyone give me suggestions or advice on locating used newspapers for weed prevention in my vegetable garden? I am having a difficult time finding a resource for used newspaper. Every search leads to a mail order site.

We want to use folded newspapers with rocks placed on top as a weed barrier around the perimeter of our house, especially in front where there is a long thick row of day lilies. Would this work up against the foundation with no problems, such as holding water?

By Vicky

Answers

It may start smelling musty during the really wet season; especially this present one. You could get landscaping fabric and put down under the rocks which works well and lets water go through better.

I would like to know how to get rid of chick weed and other problem weeds in my vegetable patch.

By Cath

Question:

There are too many weeds in my garden. Can you suggest an effective weeding chemical or else, any other suitable suggestion for it?

Thanks,
Col (retd) H.K. Jha from Patna, Bihar, India

Answer:

H.K. Jha,

There are plenty of chemicals that work on weeds in the garden, but I'm not an advocate of using any of them, especially on edibles. There are a number of better solutions-better for your garden and better for the environment. Here are some strategies:

• Use mulch. Cover every available bit of soil that isn't growing desirable plants with wood chips, compost, newspaper, cardboard, etc. This will block out available light and suppress weed growth.
  • Remove weeds before they have the chance to go to seed.
  • Keep weeds out of the compost pile. The last thing you want to do is replant them again in the garden.
  • Pull a few handfuls of weeds every time you're out in the garden.
  • Utilize groundcover plants. They take up space, block out sun and out-compete weeds for nutrients.
Ellen

Answers

If you can reach the weeds apart from "good" plants you don't need to use chemicals. Salt will kill a lot of things. Also plain boiling water poured on will kill plant and roots. If you are talking about a very large field, I don't know. I prefer to stay away from chemicals. You will probably have to ask a professional. Good luck.

Salt will also leach into surrounding soil and prevent anything from growing there for 1-2 years or more, depending on how much salt you used. So salt is not a good idea. The only place salt is a good idea is between cracks in the sidewalk where you want nothing at all to grow, ever.

In flower beds here in the US we cover the beds with weed fabric, or newspaper, to prevent weeds. Then we let the desired plants grow through the weed fabric. We use whole or shredded newspaper as they both compact quite tightly.

People also put 10 inch wide boards between rows of vegetables or flowers, and that prevents weeds from growing where we walk (i.e. on the boards). Beneficial worms also hide under the boards too.

By Maggie (Guest Post)

I would like to make a suggestion regarding the wood chips. Don't put the wood chips anywhere near your house because they attract carpenter ants. This was told to me by an exterminator we used for carpenter ants. Use stone by the house instead.

What is the best chemical or product to use to control or rid the garden of weeds during the growing season?

By Clarence

What is the best way to get rid of weeds in a veggie garden? Could I use hay to cover them to smother them out? I am currently picking them out, but they just seem to be resprouting. It makes my garden look messy!

By ftsik

I recently weeded my garden and placed a thin layer of pine mulch on it. Now I have weeds growing like wildfire in my garden bed. Everything I've looked at in stores harms other plants. Is there any way to get rid of this problem without harming my hostas and azalea bushes?

By Toni

Load More

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsOctober 18, 2011
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Controlling-Weeds-In-Your-Garden.html