Growing Hyacinth

Botanical Name:

Hyacinthus orientalis

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

fall (forcing in winter)

Height:

8" to 12"

Exposure:

full sun or partial shade

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 3-7

Bloom Time:

spring

Flower:

clusters of star-shaped fragrant flowers on stiff, upright spikes; flower colors include pink, white, yellow, violet and blue; single, double or multi-flora Hyacinths

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers, and displays; forcing bulbs

Growing Hints:

Bulbs are available in the fall with other spring bulbs. In most zones, bulbs can be planted to a depth of 4 to 5 inches. Colder zones may need to plant as deep as 8 inches and add mulch to protect the bulbs over winter. Remove the mulch in spring after frost danger has passed. Bulbs have a tendency to split into smaller bulbs (producing smaller flowers) the second year. Applying a balanced fertilizer in the spring as leaves emerge will help to keep plants more robust the following season. Cut back the stalks after flowers fade. Don't cut back the leaves until they die back naturally-give them time to provide the bulbs with nutrients for next year's growing season.

Interesting Facts:

To force hyacinth bulbs in water, weigh bulbs down in a vase or glass bowl with pebbles and fill it with water until it covers the lower half of the bulbs. Keep the vase cool (under 50ºF) and dark for approximately 4 to 8 weeks until roots begin to form and the shoots begin to elongate. Then bring the bulbs into a warm sunny area and watch them flower. Add water as necessary.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Should I put a little Quick Start by Miracle-Gro in the water to give the roots of the bulbs some nutrients? If so, how much should I put in the water?

Placed Hyacinth bulbs in a pot. Placed thyme in a cool/cold

garage. Brought them inside in mid-March. Watered the pot. Placed them on the kitchen window counter, where it gets the morning eastern sun. Whenever possible, I move them in the afternoon in a western location, where it receives the southern/western sun. Problem is that none of the websites on Hyacinth growing seem to say how long does it take before the bulbs sprout?

I can not find anything about the seeds. Once the flower has bloomed, and the seed pods grow (future bulbs) how do you ensure you can get good bulbs from them next year?

I received a hyacinth plant for Mother's Day. It was beautiful, but is now done blooming. Can I plant the bulbs outdoors? If so, do I do it now, in the summer, or should I wait until fall? Should I remove the bulbs now if I plant them bulbs in the fall, or leave them in the pot until then?

Purple Hyacinth
Growing Hyacinth
Home and Garden Gardening Growing BulbsMarch 16, 2006
Summer Hyacinth
Growing Summer Hyacinth
Water Hyacinth Plants
Getting Rid of Water Hyacinth Plants
Camassia (Wild Hyacinth)
Growing Camassia (Wild Hyacinth)
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
Forcing Hyacinth Bulbs
🎄
🍂