Growing Hyacinth

Category Bulbs
The brilliant colors and lovely fragrance of hyacinth makes them a desirable addition to your garden. This is a guide about growing hyacinth.

Botanical Name:

Hyacinthus orientalis

Life Cycle:

perennial bulb

Planting Time:

fall (forcing in winter)

Height:

8" to 12"

Exposure:

full sun or partial shade

Soil:

average to rich, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

zones 3-7

Bloom Time:

spring

Flower:

clusters of star-shaped fragrant flowers on stiff, upright spikes; flower colors include pink, white, yellow, violet and blue; single, double or multi-flora Hyacinths

Foliage:

green

Propagation:

bulbs

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, cut flowers, and displays; forcing bulbs

Growing Hints:

Bulbs are available in the fall with other spring bulbs. In most zones, bulbs can be planted to a depth of 4 to 5 inches. Colder zones may need to plant as deep as 8 inches and add mulch to protect the bulbs over winter. Remove the mulch in spring after frost danger has passed. Bulbs have a tendency to split into smaller bulbs (producing smaller flowers) the second year. Applying a balanced fertilizer in the spring as leaves emerge will help to keep plants more robust the following season. Cut back the stalks after flowers fade. Don't cut back the leaves until they die back naturally-give them time to provide the bulbs with nutrients for next year's growing season.

Interesting Facts:

To force hyacinth bulbs in water, weigh bulbs down in a vase or glass bowl with pebbles and fill it with water until it covers the lower half of the bulbs. Keep the vase cool (under 50ºF) and dark for approximately 4 to 8 weeks until roots begin to form and the shoots begin to elongate. Then bring the bulbs into a warm sunny area and watch them flower. Add water as necessary.

At this time of year, we get ready to plant some hyacinth bulbs for Christmas. All year, I pick up pretty bowls from thrift shops and jumble sales as I see them.

In October, I'll fill them with bulb fibre and plant two or three bulbs in each one, covering the bulb. I then put them in a dark, cool place (a shed or a garage?) until the first shoots appear. Then bring them in and put them in a cool place inside, not dark but not in direct sunlight.

Water them sparingly, but be careful not to water the bulb itself as it will rot. By Christmas, they'll be just about to flower. They make really lovely, fragrant gifts.

By Lucy from Oxford, UK

My husband gave me a beautiful hyacinth for Valentine's Day. Of course, it is blooming now. When should I plant it? I'm in Louisiana.

By Jacquelyn from Walker, LA

Answers

Anonymous

It is best to plant hyacinths in the fall, but since you will probably be planting in the spring, this article has a lot of info. in it that should be helpful to you.

http://www.flow … er-blooming.html

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. This is exactly what I needed to know. Many grins!

never cause he is spose to plant it

I have never planted bulbs before. I am interested in planting Hyacinth bulbs. Do they need full sun, partial sun, or shade. I am new to this and have no idea. Thanks.

By brunnet from Richboro, PA

Answers

My hyacinths are planted in partial shade and do very well. In early spring the buds on trees are beginning to show and there's little foliage to isolate the sun at this time. The key to planting is what blooms in the spring, plant in the fall and what blooms in the fall, plant in the spring.

How many flowers usually grow for each hyacinth bulb?

Answers

The first year you might only get one flower of a small size. In following years you should get more & larger flowers. Maybe two or three the second year & there-after. The bulb will grow bigger &/or make more bulbs in following years, thus the plant will be bigger & have more flowers. They can remain planted over winter especially if protected & will bloom again each spring (if squirrels don't dig them up!) The blooms smell so sweet planted near an entry way.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
Hyacinth planted in my office.

Photo Location
China

Comment Like this photo? 6

This is a photo of a hyacinth from my garden.

Garden: Hyacinth

Comment Like this photo? Yes