Drying Extra Cilantro

By Kim 71 101

When I make salsa, I use half a bunch of cilantro. For a while, I would just let the extra go bad in my fridge (BAD IDEA). Then I realized that I can easily dry out the remaining cilantro and use it that way!

Preheat oven to 250-300 degrees F. Lightly coat a cookie sheet with baking spray to help with sticking. Strip the leaves off the stems of the cilantro, and spread the leaves in one layer on the cookie sheet. Let the leaves dry out in the oven for 20 -30 minutes, check once. You just want the leaves to lose the fresh green look. Take them out of the oven and cool on the cookie sheet. Use a spatula to scrape off the cookie sheet, and slightly crumble the leaves. Put in an airtight jar and store with spices, use when needed! These will last as long as any other dried herb you buy.

By Kim from Crawford, CO

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I would recommend parchment paper instead of spraying the cookie sheet. No oil on the cilantro that way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Debbie Ducker 1 9 Flag

This is a great idea that I also do! Sure saves money!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Hope 61 Flag

This was a very timely hint for me because I had lots of cilantro left over after a dinner party last weekend. I, too, used parchment paper. The results were excellent!

Thanks for the tip.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You can also use the microwave rather than oven expense. Just place between 2 paper towels any herbs you want to dry. The time depends on the amount of herbs but just a very few minutes normally.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

dried cilantro
Drying Cilantro
Food and Recipes DryingOctober 15, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Dried Bananas
Drying Bananas
dried cilantro
Drying Cilantro
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 10:02:11 AM on 10.0.0.100 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings