Health Insurance Options for 25 Year Old

I am 25 yrs. old. I am a full-time student and only work part-time. I think I am too old for Medic-aid. What are some other options? If I have to go to the crowded health department, I will. I've been without insurance for over 2 years so I'm pushing my luck. Keep in mind, I don't have the money to pay for a plan.

Amanda from Morganton, NC

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

If you are referring to medicare, you are too young. Medicare is the government health care plan for retirees.

You mentioned that you are a full-time student. Doesn't your college offer some type of a health care plan?

Another option is to call your chamber of commerce and see if they have a group health care plan for full-time students.

Last but not least is the Dept. of Social Services. They are there to help you out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kat 1 Flag

Hi, health insurance is so expensive in this country and without a fulltime job there are really not many options other than individual plans. I too was in the same situation at 25, working a job that offered no health insurance. My worse scenario happened when I had to go to an ER for food poisoning..the bills were horendous!I had to bite the bullet make some sacrifices and find a plan I could afford. Maybe just going to an insurance agent as I did and discuss your issue they may be able to find some options for you that aren't publicized or well known or give you some ideas about finding something until you finish school.

The low income insurance I think you maybe were looking to investigate is called Medicaid which is for poor folks of any age, you can see what are the current requirements and restrictions are for that one as I remember for me my parttime job I missed the poverty line but its worth checking out anyway. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennalove 3 Flag

One thing we do is take part in medical research studies for extra money. You get PAID for being in the studies and get free medical care and meds. Even smaller cities have doctors participating in different studies. Google on line for example...

Medical research

or

Clinical research and the city or state where you live.

You should get lots of options.

There is even a Federal Clinical research at ClinicalTrials.gov. There you can narrow you search to city and state and type of illness.

We have been doing them for years. Often it is a drug that has been on the market for years and is going generic. They want to know if it is as good as the real thing. I just did a study for allergies and used the same nasal spray I always use. I got paid $250 for 4 visits and got my meds that ususally have a $60 co-pay free!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

When I was 25 and had no health issues, I had a catastrophic health plan. Many ins. comp. may still offer this. It pays only if you have a major injury or illness. Day to day stuff is not covered. Stitches, sniffles, and the like are not covered. It was very inexpensive in comparision to current health plans.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Walt Moore 25 Flag

Are you working - or could you - work part time? There are employers who do offer benefits including medical insurance - Home Depot is one - to part timers who work 20 or more hours per week. For a full-time student that won't leave you much time for fun stuff, but that would help keep you out of trouble anyway!<g>

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

The college I went to gave us emergency health insurance that was included in our tuition and had an option to purchase full health insurance at very reasonable rates. First check with your school to see if they offer a plan since it will be the cheapest option.

Also, most colleges have a school nurse/md/clinic so also check into that as a resource if you need any routine medical care they will be less. If you're low on money, then most hospitals will help you with the bill. Ask them if they have a sliding fee scale, or can give you a reduction on your bill based on your income.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Check with your college about insurance. I believe most if not all colleges offer health insurance and have health centers. My oldest son signed up for his college health insurance when he aged out of coverage under our policy. All of our children used their college's health centers for treatment of minor problems, colds, flues, etc. Good luck and keep looking to the futher.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Budget & Finance HealthcareDecember 14, 2007
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Saving Money on Health Insurance, Health Insurance Paperwork
Saving Money on Health Insurance
A woman living in Paris standing in front of the Eiffel Tower.
Health Insurance When Living Abroad
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:34:00 PM on 10.0.2.83 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings