Growing Vegetables in Upside Down Gardens

Do you think I can grow squash in this manner also? I've never heard it mentioned growing vegetables of the cucurbit family upside down. I've had frustrating seasons of fighting with squash bug (and cucumber and potato beetles, too) that the sound of another tactic of defense gives me hope. What is your experience with hanging upside down a cucurbit?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Kim from Westminster, MD

Answers

I think it would, my father planted his tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets like the upside down tomatoes for years. He just cut a hole about 3" around in the bottom. Put the plant up through the hole, layed a piece of 1'x2' 6" long along both sides of the stem and tied them together securing the plant. The boards held the plant in the bucket when he turned it unside down after filling it half way with soil. I fear your squash would be too heavy when it gets several squash on it but it might be worth a try.

I grow my squash in a big plastic tub. The kind nurseries get trees in. They have empty ones you can get for nothing usually. They have holes in the bottom for drainage. Good luck.

A basket of late summer vegetables and herbs from the garden.
Growing Vegetables
Home and Garden Gardening VegetablesMay 23, 2010
Kale after snow has fallen.
Vegetables That Taste Better After Frost
Woman holding up vegetables from her garden.
Growing Your Own Food
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Muffin Tin Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipes
Variety of garden vegetables and fruits in and surrounding a basket on a table.
Harvesting Common Garden Vegetables
🎉
🎄