Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Caring for an Orange Star Plant

I have an orange star plant that has quit blooming. Should I cut the long stems off? The pot it is in has no hole at the bottom. Should I re-pot it? It's a beautiful plant and I would like to keep it. I just don't know how to take care of it. Thank You. Allene

By Allene from Phoenix, AZ

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By lonyle04/24/2012

Ornithgalum dubium

Some Orange Star are Ornithgalum dubium not?
See <http://www.gardenguides.com/106522- ... tm_source=popup&utm_medium=2>
http://www.billsphotooftheday.com/March_25_2006/

RE: Caring for an Orange Star Plant

By kathleen williams [23]04/25/2010

An orange star plant is a tropical bromeliad originating from Ecuador. These plants make excellent house plants with their numerous overlapping green leaves coming from a central trunk and then bursting with a bright orange flower. The orange star can add a tropical feel and color to any room in your home. Like any tropical plant, the orange star likes it warm and humid. This plant is easy to grow with minimal care.

Step 1
Keep your orange star plant in bright indirect light or filtered light. If you are keeping the plant on a desk or in an area that does not have indirect light, keep under fluorescent lighting and check the soil for dryness more often.

Step 2
Water to keep the soil evenly moist during the spring, summer and fall. Cut back the watering to allow the top of the soil to dry out in the winter. Leave a bottle of tap water out for 24 hours before using it to water the plant. This will allow harmful chemicals and lime to dissipate from the water.

Step 3
Mist the plant with a spray bottle once a day during the summer and fall. Another way to add humidity to the plant is to set the container on a tray covered with pebbles and water. Do not allow the plant to sit in the water but above it on the pebbles.

Step 4
Fertilize your orange star with a water-soluble fertilizer once a month from May through October. Use a balanced 20-20-20 fertilizer.

Step 5
Repot the plant every spring to encourage new growth. Give it a little extra water and hold back fertilizer until the plant has fully adjusted to the new pot and soil. You will know that it has adjusted by seeing new growth. Good luck.

By kathleen williams [23]04/25/2010

All planters needs holes in them so the water can train out. I put a plastic bag over the holes to keep the soil from going out. Yes, you need to repot it. Go to - how to grow an Orange Star Plant, lot of info there, good luck.