Caring for a Sun Star Plant

Category House Plants
This plant, a native of South Africa, is valued for its brilliant orange, long lasting flowers, both on the plant and as cut flowers. This is a guide about caring for a sun star plant.

I have an orange star plant that has quit blooming. Should I cut the long stems off? The pot it is in has no hole at the bottom. Should I re-pot it? It's a beautiful plant and I would like to keep it. I just don't know how to take care of it. Thank You. Allene

By Allene from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

An orange star plant is a tropical bromeliad originating from Ecuador. These plants make excellent house plants with their numerous overlapping green leaves coming from a central trunk and then bursting with a bright orange flower. The orange star can add a tropical feel and color to any room in your home. Like any tropical plant, the orange star likes it warm and humid. This plant is easy to grow with minimal care.

Step 1
Keep your orange star plant in bright indirect light or filtered light. If you are keeping the plant on a desk or in an area that does not have indirect light, keep under fluorescent lighting and check the soil for dryness more often.

Step 2
Water to keep the soil evenly moist during the spring, summer and fall. Cut back the watering to allow the top of the soil to dry out in the winter. Leave a bottle of tap water out for 24 hours before using it to water the plant. This will allow harmful chemicals and lime to dissipate from the water.

Step 3
Mist the plant with a spray bottle once a day during the summer and fall. Another way to add humidity to the plant is to set the container on a tray covered with pebbles and water. Do not allow the plant to sit in the water but above it on the pebbles.

Step 4
Fertilize your orange star with a water-soluble fertilizer once a month from May through October. Use a balanced 20-20-20 fertilizer.

Step 5
Repot the plant every spring to encourage new growth. Give it a little extra water and hold back fertilizer until the plant has fully adjusted to the new pot and soil. You will know that it has adjusted by seeing new growth. Good luck.

I have an orange star plant, I think! Mine is yellow; is it something else?
Thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

They come in yellow, too. Have a look at this page:

www.mygardenlife.com/.../get-to-know-orange-star

Where can this plant be purchased? Thank you.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

Answers

Anonymous

I got mine from stop and shop believe it or not

mine came from Walmart in Rochester, N.Y.

I got mine at Kroger grocery store

I got mine from Traders Joe. When I saw it I cant residt from buying it. Its so pretty

I got mine from walmart in Taylorsville NC

Walmart

I have a sun star plant, does anyone if if I can put it outside or do I need to keep it in doors? How I do I care for this kind of plant? I saw it and thought it was pretty.

Answers

Give it full sun and moderately moist soil.

Here are Sun Star care instructions from rocketfarms.com

Water: Keep planting mix moist.

Light: Place in bright indirect sun light indoors.

Continuing Care: Remove spent flower spikes at base.

Temperature: Performs well at a cooler indoor temperature.

Fertilizer: Use liquid fertilizer at half the label rate every other month.

You ask about putting it outside or should you keep it inside.
For planting outside the guides are saying okay in zones 7 - 11 but 7 and 8 may be risky unless you dig up the bulbs. It is a beautiful plant and is available in orange, yellow and white.
Here is a link to the US hardiness map in case you are not familiar with your zone.

http://planthar  sda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Here is a link with care instructions - be sure to read all the way to the bottom and also - remember that most sites say this is a toxic plant so keep away from pets.

http://homeguid  plant-40487.html

Can you show video on how and when to cut dying flowers

My Orange Star has leaves turning yellow. Whats up?

I just bought and planted orange star flower, I love it, but in a wind storm one of the stalks broke off. Can I re-sprout it by planting the broken stalk directly back into the dirt or placing in water?

Answers

I would place in water until roots grow. Then use rooting hormone and plant in the ground.

Sorry to hear about the breakage. That is frustrating. Unlike most plants, I never had luck starting a broken one of the orange stars in water or dirt...they usually get moldy and die.

Could be I just didn't do it right. Friends have done well splitting the bulbs at the bottoms when they get the "mini" bulb growths. That is an easy way to fill in for next year.

I would put it in water until you see roots at least 3 to 4 inches long. Then plant it in new soil with a growing compound.