Refreshing Old Masking Tape

Category Other
This is a guide about use microwave to refresh masking tape. When masking tape dries out it can come off in little pieces. Try this tip to make it work as it should.

If your masking tape comes off in little pieces, zap the roll of tape in the microwave 10-20 seconds and it will work as it should.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

Top Comment

I was putting away my Christmas decorations & needed to seal a box. Got my masking tape & sure enough it pulled off in pieces. Then I remembered your "microwave" tip. I thought what have I got to lose? If it works I am saved, if it doesn't I would be tossing the roll anyway. Well, thank you, thank you for a wonderful tip that worked. My husband thought I was nuts, but I showed him.

I will be giving this a try soon. I have thrown away so many rolls of tape thinking they were too old. Thanks for the tip.:)

What a great idea thanks, for sharing it with us - I will be doing this from now on instead of throwing it away which I do hate to do.

Great tip! I have a lot of that. Usually just toss it out. :-)

What a great tip! I have been so frustrated with masking tape, that I turned instead to freezer tape, which is very similar but seems to be problem free. I suspect I might have a hard time finding freezer tape the next time I need a new roll, but I have an old roll of masking tape I found in a closet. I was dreading using it, but maybe it won't be so bad if I try this tip. Thanks, fossil1955!

Greetings:

Does this work well with packing tape? We always get the rolls that start good then start lifting off in sections.

Thanks. Good tip.

Thanks for a great tip.

Um, I don't have a microwave (by choice). Do you think warming it in my steamer might do the same trick?