DogsPets

Baby Shampoo For Fleas

Why buy expensive dog shampoos at PetSmart to bathe your dog? My vet suggested I use any baby shampoo, so now I buy $1.00 generic baby shampoos at the Dollar Store and I have a dog that smells as good as a freshly bathed baby for a fraction of the cost.

By cipi2000 from Miami, FL

I am surprised a vet would recommend this. It definitely is not for regular use. Human shampoo, even baby shampoo, is not good for the skin and coat of dogs.

Johnson's baby shampoo helped a lot when my cats flea problem just wouldn't stop. I had tried everything to make them go away but somehow they kept coming back. If my friend never would have told me about it I'd be fighting a battle that I would have lost to and for the house I use organic insect dust diatomaceous earth. Now Kitty hasn't been scratching as much as she used to and my family hasn't been getting flea bites like before.

Fleas are exoskeletal -- exoskeleton is the external skeleton that supports and protects an animal's body, in contrast to the internal skeleton (endoskeleton) of, for example, human. So any soap will affect the flea if not immediately, it will die. Consistency is the key once you get the problem down. I used to "dip" the dogs at the vets but it was extremely hard on them.

The fact that shampoo strips the oils from the fleas is what kills them - their skeletons are exposed and they will dry out and die rather quickly. I'm not sure if it's effective on eggs but I bounce around with products and seem to have the worst luck with store bought products 'cos I expect them to be easier to use and less time consuming - which means I don't always give them enough time to work.

So remember, you need to let the soap sit on the coat for at least 5 to 10 minutes and come back and rinse, rinse, rinse. Fleas will always head for higher ground so the minute you put that product on your pet's back, they're heading for the head or any other open orifice so put lots of lathery soap around the neck lune, under the chin, open privates and base of ears. Otherwise I've noticed they really do just hang out there until bath time is over. They may not be smart, but they sure can jump!

Both my vet and our dog groomer recommended Johnson's baby shampoo for flea control on our dogs. I'm here to tell you, it does work.

Baby shampoo is still too harsh for animal's skin. I used to use baby shampoo but found that my dog's skin got really dry and she was always scratching. You would be better off using Avon Bubble bath which contains no chemicals and smells great!