General AdviceConsumer Advice

Looking for A Reliable Basic Dishwasher

I need to replace a dishwasher that is located at a beach house. I want one that is basic, but has good reviews and will last a long time. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

By fouraggies from Houston, TX

A magazine entitled Consumer Reports can be found at a public library. And if you're interested in saving money, check in your newspaper for a used dishwasher.

Consumer Reports is a good idea but I wouldn't get a used dishwasher. I've been given or bought 5 in the last year and always end with major issues of pre-washing, re-washing, or failure to dry, which ends up wasting too much time and money to be effective.

The key thing is to purchase a machine that is Energy Star Complaint and this will save you money every year on energy and water costs, and, in the long run will help the machine pay for itself.

One key thing I've heard from three recent purchasers I know (my sister and two friends) who all did a lot of research, is that you should look for a model with a food disposer I'm not clear on what this feature does beyond what the name implies, but all have mentioned it as one of the best qualities of the machines they purchased. Hope this is helpful. Good luck

Is this a vacation home or will someone be there year-round? A dishwasher should be run at least weekly to keep the rubber seal from drying out. If no one will be there to use it frequently, you may have problems no matter what brand you buy. I have a Kitchen-Aid, love it, and have never had any problems with it. Fisher & Paykel makes the drawer-style units, and are a really great company. Everyone I know who has one of theirs loves it.