Pimples on Scalp

My son has a pimpley rash on his scalp. It looks like red pimples all around his hair line. He is 12 going on 13 and going through puberty. What is it? And how do you get rid of it? Going to the doctors is the total last resort as our deductible is high. I would like to treat it at home if I can naturally.

By wacky camper

I don't know if it is the same thing or not, but occasionally I get infected hair follicles on my scalp. If you just pull out the hair coming out of the pimple, then puss will usually come out and it will feel much better. Couldn't hurt to try anyways.

It could be one of a few things: (1) Is it oily? Then he is getting pimples from his hair/scalp being too oily - He needs to wash his hair more often & apply plain hydrogen peroxide/benzoyl peroxide OTC acne products to area & keep face clean w/medicated soaps, etc. Lots of choices in the drug stores or (2) If it is dry - it could be an allergic rash, and you can try and treat it with cortisone cream. And check to see if he has tried any new hair products, etc. which would cause the rash & stop using them. You really have to play detective! Hope these tips help some.

AS to allergies; has he been using new head gear?/baseball cap/ sport helmet or somesuch? The bands that support these items may be the cause. From a different angle; I've had various skin/rash or pimple problems and found it often helped clear things up when I smeared a light coat of Vicks Vapor Rub (the kind in the blue jar) or the generic copy of Vick's on the problem areas. You"d probably want to do this in the evening when he wont be getting razzed by schoolmates, and of course shampoo it out before bed or the next am(it doesn't cause me any problem to leave it on several hours)

Keep the head & hair clean, of course, but use a 10% white vinegar, mixed with water. That's 1 tsp. vinegar & 9 tsp. water, or equivalent. This mix is good at first, but then, over time, make it stronger. The vinegar will kill yeast, namely candida. After he takes a shower & washes his hair, use the vinegar mix & douse the head with it & during the day, put a small amount on the area & rub in, let it dry. Don't rinse off. It doesn't take much, just enough to wet the skin, be sure to rub in till it's mostly dry, the smell goes away when it dries. It works for regular acne or pimples. Cut back on simple carbs like potatoes, all grains, sugar, anything that has a high glycemic content. Look up the glucemic index. Not a bad idea for everyone. Candida feeds on sugar & when you eat high glucemic carbs, it ends up circulating in your blood & ends up in your cells.

Try tea tree oil. It really works! You can get it almost anywhere, or at a health food store. Tea Tree oil is really good for all sorts of things, and a good thing to have on hand.

Check ingredients in shampoo he is using. My husband is sensitive to certain shampoo and his scalp will break out like that.

Iit may not be pimples. I'd take him to the doctors to check it out.

Health & Beauty Beauty Skin Care Acne TreatmentMay 14, 2009
Girl with a pimple on her nose.
Getting Rid of Pimples Quickly
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
Someone using an acne cleansing pad on their face.
Homemade Oxy Cleansing Pads Recipes