Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Stains from Plastic Food Containers

How can I get red enchilada sauce stains out of plastic containers?

Ginger from Bellingham, WA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Holly [350]02/06/2009

Next choice is to wash well and then only use the stained containers for staining food items.

By Chris from PA. (Guest Post)02/05/2009

I use automatic dishwashing powder. You can get this at any Dollar General or Walmart Store. You don't need to buy the expensive brands. Just pour a little in your container, fill it with hot water and let it soak. Stains come right off.

By Kim Churchman [3]02/05/2009

I just wash mine well and ignore the tint, then when I use them for something else the pink has faded and then it's gone. Mostly for containers I use pint wide-mouth canning jars, they last forever, they're see-thru, easy to wash and no staining at all.

By Angelina (Guest Post)02/04/2009

I have luck putting the stained plastic containers out in the bright sun. They come out like new. This truly is a very frugal procedure. I hope it works for you.

By OliveOyl02/04/2009

No need to buy special cleaning products. Soak stained plastic containers in warm soapy water with a little bleach added.

By Mary [9]02/04/2009

I agree with the Plastic Booster. It comes in a tube like hand lotion, look for it with the dishwasher detergents. You add it with your regular detergent.
I was skeptical when I first tried it but it really works!

You can also set them out in the sunshine if you live where the weather is nice.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Stains from Plastic Food Containers

How do I remove stains from plastic food containers?

Renee from Monterey, TN

RE: Removing Stains from Plastic Food Containers

Try soaking the plastic food containers in some bleach and hot water. (12/14/2007)

By MCW

I'm not sure in how to get them clean, but if you simply spray the insides of the container with Pam before putting anything in them they will not stain. All you need is a light coat. I always found mine being stained with spaghetti sauce and chili. Hope this helps. (12/15/2007)

By Terre

The only thing that has ever worked for me is Cascade Plastic Booster. (12/18/2007)

By teddygirl