Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Clean Baked on Grime With Baking Soda and Vinegar

When you have baked on or cooked on grime you are fighting with on your pots and pans and bakeware, try this:

1. Sprinkle baking soda over all the grime.
  2. Pour some vinegar or lemon juice over the baking soda so that it fizzes real good.
  3. Next pour boiling water over all and let it soak for 20 minutes in this boiling mixture.
  4. Clean with ease.
By Carly from Lynnwood, WA

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Louise B. [4]03/26/2009

When you mix baking soda and vinegar, they bubble vigorously and create carbon dioxide (the bubbles) and salt water. Is it the bubbling action that does something? If it is salt water that helps, why not just add the salt to boiling water? If baking soda and boiling water work by themselves, why add the vinegar? I am always puzzled by the use of this combo.

By Diane [3]03/26/2009

After making applesauce I found I had burned apple on the bottom of the pot. Lots of it. Never should have answered that phone! I put baking soda directly on the burned apple and added a little water. I then reheated it to boiling and the apple peeled off. You have to watch the pot so you don't burn the stuff again, but this works to get heavily burned pots to the point where you can then use the baking soda and vinegar.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.