How can I get rid of climbing ivy?

How can I get rid of climbing ivy? It is growing all over one wall of the house and I have noticed it coming into the house through a crack in the wall.

Hardiness Zone: 3b

Kara from United Kingdom, Worcester

I have the same problem with ivy growing out of control over my steep mountain block and up the trunks of trees. I was advised by our local council to cut back all the ivy at ground level, then paint both cut edges of each stem with a poison such as Zero or Round-up. (I am in Australia, so I don't know if these brands areavailable overseas).

i would think pouring salt aroud the foundation would kill any plants? ~lol - just give it to ME! i need some climbing plants for my new trellis's!

I had ivy growing on the south side of my house. I had to pull it all up by the root. And I had to dig deep to get the roots, since any missed pieces would root and grow into a new vine. Mine was in a flowerbed and spraying would kill my other plants, some of which were extremely old. It took me an entire summer to go through my bed, inch-by-inch to get it all. Some of the main stems were well over an inch thick, almost like tree stems. Ivy, while beautiful, have roots that will eat through cement between bricks and severely damage a home's structure over time. Some roots were even growing into my ornamental bushes. Good luck with whatever method of removal you choose.

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsApril 11, 2007
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Ivy Cutting
Growing Ivy
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Getting Rid of Ivy
Getting Rid of Ivy
🎄