Growing Ivy

Category Perennials
Many varieties of ivy make a great ground cover or climbing plant and can add color to your garden. This is a guide about growing ivy.

Botanical Name: Hedra
Life Cycle: perennial vines /climbers
Planting Time: spring or summer
Height: ground cover or climber
Exposure: full sun to partial shade
Soil: average, well-drained soil; adaptable to most conditions
Hardiness: zones 5 to 9
Flower: grown for foliage
Foliage: lobed leaves in a variety of shapes (stars, hearts, shields) textures (ruffled, cuffed and smooth) and colors (green, gray, cream, yellow, veined and variegated).
Propagation: division
Suggested Use: ground cover, rock gardens, climbing, topiaries, window boxes, hanging baskets and houseplants
Growing Hints: Purchase young plants or take cuttings from a friend. Plants root easily in soil or water. Do not feed newly potted or purchased plants for the first 3 to 4 months. Well-established plants should be fed every three to four months and repotted when they become crowded. Pinching back tips will encourage bushier growth. Common pests include spider mites, mealy bugs and white flies.
Interesting Facts: Ivy prefers 4 or more hours of sunlight per day, but will tolerate bright indirect light, like light reflected off of light colored walls, or artificial lights.

When boiling potatoes, save the cooking water. Let it cool off completely. Then you can water your ivy plants with the potato water. You will be surprised with how pretty, green, and shiny the leaves will get.

By Annette from Tyler, TX

Climbing ivy is a good choice for certain uses in your garden, but it can also be problematic. This is a guide about things to consider before growing climbing ivy.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a 60 ft long 4 ft tall wooden fence that I would love to cover with ivy. I want it green all year round. Other than English ivy is there something else I can plant. I want the look of a hedge without all the constant trimming. Routine maintenance is not a problem, however spending hours a couple times a year trimming and shaping is.

Answers

if it were me, I would do a vine, such as honeysuckle. Ivy attracts centipedes...

Any vine on a wooden fence will trap moisture and cause rotting. Annual vines like morning glory, moonflower, sweet pea, and climbing nasturtium can be used, but should be removed at the end of the growing season.

Try honeysuckle, clematis, trumpet vine, morning glory, golden hops (Humulus lupulus 'Aureus'), jasmine, Abutilon 'Kentish Belle', Nasturtium 'Flame Thrower', sweet pea, or decorative gourds.

I have 10 foot square chain link panels and I want to grow ivy to block view of their disgusting yard. Will ivy grow on chainlink? I'm in zone 7b according to a map per my zipcode.

By JD

Answers

Anonymous

Try Virginia Creeper--beautiful foliage changes colors in the fall. Place some thin strips of wood in the chain link to provide a "foothold" for the tendrils. Good luck.

Absolutely! But in a couple of years you may regret what you wished for. It may get out of hand.

A few weeks ago, I accidently applied the "Weed and Feed" fertilizer on the ground covering ivy. Now the ivy is dying. Is there any way to rescue the ivy? Please advise.

Thank you,

Gerard

Answers

Ivy is considered a noxious invasive weed. It spreads uncontrollably, destroying native plants in addition to destroying building brick, siding, foundations and roofs. Don't rescue it.

Go to your local nursery and pick out a new, non invasive ground cover. Better yet, ask for something native to your area. Be sure and share that you have used weed and feed.

I completely disagree with sicl, I think that ivy is a beautiful vine and if properly mended and cared for can be nondestructive.

As for saving your plant, Is there a section that has not yet been affected by the weed and feed? if so cut it off and re root it. as for the rest of the plant I don't think that it is rescuable.:-(

I have an ivy that I have grown in my bathroom for many years, it had climbed the wall and had great big leaves. My husband accidentally hit the stem with the door. I found the damage when I noticed the leaves seemed wilting. I cut it at the damaged part, pulled some of the climbing fingers off the wall and replanted it. Do you think it will survive? Or do I need to cut it down completely?
Thank you

By Glenda from Wimberley, TX

I have a retaining wall around my house facing south. The people behind me are at a higher elevation, so their plants cause water damage to my wall. Would planting ivy be a good cover-up? The wall is always damp. Would I need a drip system installed?

By H. Gerber

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I have six different ivies. I hope to add more to my collection. The only prerequisite is that the ivy be unique and totally different from any I now have.

I hope to have a nondescript pattern of these ivies under my maples. Filling in the bare spots is a no pressure task. When walking by, I notice a bare spot. I take a cutting from the existing ivy and insert it into the bare spot and cover with a soda bottle dome.

My contributions are on a lark. I'll let nature make the final decision as to how the finished work will look. Then, I'll pick the nicest spot and place a very old looking concrete bench there.

Iced tea and some light reading under the maples. Sounds good to me.

Comment Like this photo? 1