Growing English Ivy

Please be careful with English ivy. I planted some several years ago and it has really caused me a lot of problems. One problem is that it climbed up the side of my house.

I planted it to cover my foundation on one side of my house and it has pulled some of the siding loose.

4 Questions

There is a parking garage in my neighborhood that will put up a metal screen and grow Virginia creeper and English ivy in order to cover up the façade and blend in with the residential area. I would like to know if you recommend those two plants to grow next to each other or if it would be better to use only one plant.

Answers

Virginia creeper is very aggressive when planted in the shade. It will probably take over the English Ivy.

Answer this Question

Can English ivy coexist with hosta plants or will the ivy kill off the hostas?

By jean sander from Sandy Hook, CT

Answers

English Ivy will kill off anything it is near! If you want any, put in a hanging basket and be sure and keep it over cement!

Answer this Question

I have had English ivy, on the side of my house, for the past 6 years that has done wonderfully. This year after a long winter and a slow start to spring my ivy, as of May 12, still has not taken on any leaves. Should I be worried?

By Art S.

Answer this Question

Home and Garden Gardening PerennialsFebruary 19, 2013
😷
🌻
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Growing-English-Ivy.html