Homemade Phase Change Ice Packs

I've been trying to think of ways to defeat heat stroke. I'm thinking about buying these jell packs filled with Phase change material. They are expensive. Would any one have ideas on making some thing similar? To elaborate, phase change material aren't freezing cold. They just pump out a nice pleasant 60 degrees or so over a long period to help you avoid heat stroke in the absence of air conditioning. any one got any ideas on creating a cheap, cost effective version of this stuff?

Quizzelbuck from Toledo, OH

Place a bag of dried beans in a sock & place it in a freezer over night & use it to cool down.

Plus you can still cook the beans afterword!

Get creative & make you a nice pillow out of an old teeshirt filled with dryed corn or beans to be frozen in the fridge.

Thanks every one who read and thought about this problem and for posting. I have recently found cheap phase change packets for a fraction of what they were worth, and am no longer in need of help on this subject.

Make bags out of heavy material and loosely fill them with rice.

Make them in any shape.

They can be used by placing in the freezer or the microwave (for aches and pains)

How about mixing equal parts water and alcohol in a Ziplock bag, and then put that sealed bag in another ziplock and freeze? I use these in my husbands lunch. Another thing I've been meaning to try is blue Dawn dishsoap. don't add anything to it. just put in a bag and freeze. It goes to just a cold pack.

Hi, my son was working in the oil fields in calif. and it gets pretty hot. He almost had a heat stroke and I asked my naturopath Doctor what to do and he said take colloidal minerals. Well I got some for him and that did the trick. I even take it during the hot summer months to avoid overheating. Natures Sunshine sells colloidal minerals. It is liquid minerals which work faster than pills.

Where did you find the Phase Change packs?

I could use some.

Ebay. The guy who sold them to me was a marine bomb squad technician . He used them under his bomb disposal suit in 145 degree heat in Iraq. he had 5 or 6 stocked up from his service, and liquidated them for like $50 a pop. The normally go for $150 unshipped. They are well worth that much.

Making homemade phase change cold packs should be relatively easy to implement as they are by definition not freezing cold but instead delivering a more constant and stable 60 degrees F. for a much lower period of time.

The recipe calls for the use of something called Sodium polyacrylate it is the stuff that also happens to be in baby diapers.

One can get Sodium polyacrylate from, http://www.wate  b.com/prices.htm

The unique thing about Sodium polyacrylate is that it has the ability to absorb 30 gallons of water per pound of sodium polyacrylate granules.

A little sodium polyacrylate medium sized granules goes a long way. One should only use 1 teaspoon of sodium polyacrylate granules per quart of water. So for example when using a gallon sized ziploc bag use no more than 4 teaspoons of the sodium polyacrylate granules with four quarts of water.

By using the sodium polyacrylate granules when mixed in the proper recommended above ratio one can make a suitable homemade phase change ice pack that can by design parameters have a much higher and not freezing cold 32 degrees F but instead delivering a more constant and stable 60 degrees F. for a much lower period of time.

This is the way to go as far as customizing ones own homemade phase change ice pack for different desired objective temperature points for different chilling objective applications.