Labeling When Canning

I enjoy trying new recipes to preserve the harvest of different vegetables and fruits. You never know when you will have an over abundance of an item. But often after canning, I forget the name of the recipe used or where to find it again.

Now I write out the name and date of the product as well as the source of the recipe on the label. This way I can try two versions of a recipe and be able to tell which of the versions I like better. Or which I don't want to try again!

By Circlelady from Baltimore, MD

This is a good idea. What I did in the past was keep a "Canning/Gardening Journal". Besides listing the crops we grew for a given year, I wrote our harvest, what we canned and how much we canned as well as the canning recipes. I did this before I had a computer and just used a notebook; however now would be easy to just "file" all the info on the computer.

A girl in a striped shirt holding a camera to her eye.
Camera Tips and Tricks
Food and Recipes CanningOctober 23, 2006
Growing Quince, Canning Quince, Freezing Quince, Peeling Quince, Storing Quince. Selecting Good Quince. Holding Out a Ripe Quince
Canning Quince
Jar of canned papaya balls in syrup.
Canning Papayas
Freshly Canned Pears Near Pears in a Bowl
Canning Pears
Pile of fresh cherries in front of a jar of cherry jam.
Canning Cherries