Reuse Old Suitcases for Storage

The chances are very good that you or a family member have an old suitcases in the attic, basement, or closet. The old hard-shell case has become the dinosaur of travel. Newer ones may be a little shabby (i.e., broken wheel or malfunctioning handle), thus not usable for flight trips. Most of the of the donation places are no longer accepting the old hard cases and do not want malfunctioning newer styles. Here's some ideas for reusing them.

The hard shell cases make a great keepsake box for your child. I used mine and put all the keepsake mementos of our son in it, I decorated the exterior with his name and collaged a few photos and scrapbook items on it!.Its a great way to store the baby items, photos, and easy to keep them dust free, water proof and convenient to pass down. The newer nylon suitcases can be used in a similar way, but also make great Christmas ornament and light storage. You can also use for seasonal clothing totes and blankets. Go Green! Please feel free to add your own ideas about this.

By Missy MM

I also use them for storing overnight items for when my daughter has a friend sleep over. My old hard shell suitcase if fairly large. I keep an extra blanket, extra sheet , pillow, spare new tooth brushes, toothpaste and a large cotton T-shirt to sleep in, just in case they don't have one, in the suitcase. And a few little snacks and game/puzzle books.

I keep it on the top shelf of the closet in her room. Spur of the sleepovers are not hassle anymore rounding up needed items at the last minute! Could also be used by my daughter to take to a friends house on the spur of the moment.

Great idea tnphoenix! Thanks for the add!

Going to sell at a Flea Market or Yard Sale? Use an old suitcase as a Storage & Display unit for small items such as Jewelry, collectibles, etc.

I use mine for storage of things I use every so often and put a lamp on it and grandkid's pictures - then set it on my fireplace hearth for an extra place to set drinks.

August 19, 2015 Flag

Inside a shabby chic suitcase on or under my coffee table I keep notepads, stationary, pens, scissors, stamps, etc. When I need to use these things while watching TV or on phone, everything is right there and I don't have to get up and go to my desk search for things. Plus the vintage suitcase is kind of cool!

I do this too using a small hump back decorative trunk with a handle that I found at Value Village. It's small enough that I suppose it could be used as an overnight tote but I use it beside the phone and keep my address book with phone numbers in it along with pens, paper, some post it notes & a yellow highlighter. I glued one of my personal business cards to the inside of the lid. I have a tendency of forgetting my postal code whenever I have to give it out over the phone so now it's handy for this old gal. LOL I keep my cell phone charger in there too.

Empty Suitcase
Using Luggage As Storage
Organizing StorageDecember 3, 2010
An old suitcase sitting open.
Removing Odors From a Suitcase
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books
storing luggage
Storing Suitcases
Two Forks on White Background
Uses for Old Forks
🎄