Musty Smell In Suitcase

Category Odors
Suitcases that have been in storage, or simply not used in awhile can develop a musty odor. This is a guide about musty smell in suitcase.

How do you get rid of the musty smell in luggage?

By Sondra from FL

Answers

By Doones (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Put a few pieces of chalk or charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it) in the case, close it up for a few days, the odor should be gone after. You can also try a piece of potato or apple. I've never used those but I have heard it works.
Good luck!

Best Answer

Try soaking a couple of crumpled up pieces of newspaper in regular vinegar, put them inside and close it up for a few days. It worked for me. Good luck. Regards, lori

Best Answer

Other things that are good for odors are baking soda and coffee grounds. Set a dish of one or the other, or both inside the suitcase and leave for a few days. You might also try one of those silica gel packs that comes with purchased items to remove moisture.

Best Answer

I just handled the problem with musical instrument cases, which are specialized luggage. Leave them open and spray daily with a few drops of tree tea oil in warm water. It's taken two weeks or so but the rank mold odor is almost completely gone.

Best Answer

FYI...Tried fabric softener sheets for the mold smell in old luggage and it didn't work. I think it will have to be something that pulls the odor out and doesn't just cover it up.

The suitcase I used was a Samsonite soft luggage polyester suitcase. I put in some wet clothes inside a plastic bag, but it leaked and it left a bad odor. I checked their website on how to clean it with either vinegar or baking soda, but I only have apple cider vinegar.

Is it safe to use it or should I use baking soda?

Answers

Regular vinegar is cheaper and clear. Apple cider vinegar has a color and may stain.

I would not substitute cider vinegar and white for cleaning fabric. I. A pinch for hard surfaces, maybe. If the vinegar and baking soda doesn't work, try a few briquettes of charcoal in a cheese cloth bag. Leave it closed inside for a few days then let the bag air out in the sun. Hope it gets rid of the smell!

Apple Cider Vinegar could stain, I would not recommend that.

www.e-cloth.com/.../3-ways-to-use-apple-cider-vinegar...

Sunshine is a very good bad odor remover so be sure to air it out good after using any of these products.

Always use white vinegar for cleaning or removing odors as apple cider may stain and the stain would be hard to remove.
If there is a stain, you can wipe it with a cloth dipped in white vinegar.

After you think the odor is gone, be sure to put newspaper or baking soda inside before you close it up, but it is best to just leave it open as long as possible.

I would like to know how to get the musty smell out of an old suitcase. I am redoing the inside material. I tore the old out, but before putting new in I need to get rid of the musty odor.

Tina from Clare, Iowa

Answers:

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I would spray it down with hydrogen peroxide (yep, the cheap stuff from the drugstore) and after it dries close up the case with an open bag of plain charcoal like you use for the b-b-q. After a few days it should be odor free.

If this is a really old case made out of paperboard it may never stop smelling. The same mold that gets into old books gets into the paperboard and it is almost impossible to get that out. Good luck. (07/14/2006)

By Carla

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Open the suitcase and leave in the sun. This helps with musty odors. Also fill it with newspaper and closing it is another method as the newspaper absorbs the odor. When storing it, add crumpled newspaper to keep it smelling fresh. (07/14/2006)

By angellface

Musty Smell In Suitcase

I agree with the person who aired theirs out outside in the sun. But, as a preventive measure to avoid "musty" suitcases between trips, I throw in 1/4 to 1/2 bar of good smelling soap, perfume soap bars are nice, or something like Irish Spring is good. When you put away your suitcase, just throw the piece of a soap bar in. Smell stays nice. (07/14/2006)

By Glinda

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Have you tried Febreze ? It's a great product! I've used it on many things and it hasn't failed me yet. (07/14/2006)

By sadiejoy

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Trying placing a dryer sheet in the suitcase, closed tightly, for a couple of days. When my dog had a run-in with a skunk and rubbed her face on my cloth purse, that's the only thing that finally got the odor out. Good luck. (07/17/2006)

By Kate

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Put a few pieces of chalk or charcoal (not the kind with lighter fluid in it) in the case, close it up for a few days, the odor should be gone after. You can also try a piece of potato or apple. I've never used those, but I have heard it works.
Good luck! (10/05/2007)

By Doones

Musty Smell In Suitcase

Spray the inside of suitcase and leave open outside, with Simply Green. It works, you may have to do this a second time. Also removes cigarette smoke smell (I loaned my bag to a smoker-never again).

I also sprayed the the bag on my vacuum cleaner
and it removed the stink (not sure what it was), but it was bad. (10/12/2008)

By Judy