Daschund is Aggressive Towards Children

We have a Daschund that is almost 2 years old. He has shown aggressiveness toward our grandchildren, including biting. We are concerned to the point of seriously considering giving him up, though it is painful. Has anyone had success with behavior training for this specific issue or is this Daschund's personality trait incorrectable? Our grandchildrens' faces seem to be at risk.

Bob from Houston, TX

First of all, are your grandchildren hurting or playing agressively with the dog? If so, that's why the dog is being aggressive. Can you keep the dog in a separate room when the grandkids are visiting? If not, most animal shelters have an animal behaviorist on staff that give free advice to help find solutions to problems like yours. They want to do everything possible to prevent pet owners from giving up their pets. Please look in your local yellow pages under "humane society" or "animal shelter" or go to http://www.petfinder.org

Please do not give up so easily on your dog, there may be an easy solution to this problem. Good luck & I pray you keep your dog.

Life is full of choices. I personally would prefer not to have a biting dog. Think how you will feel if he bites one of their little faces. Not only would the child be scarred for life but you might possible alienate some family members.

Go to http://www.barkbusters.com/ and see if they have a trainer in your area. My photographer, who photographs kids regularly, had them work with her dog because of behavior issues around kids, and it worked wonders. I know it is a tough decision, when your children and grandchildren are involved, but behaviors can be corrected with a good trainer and some patience. Good luck!

I am a dachshund owner..of many years... dacshies, in my experience and opinion, are good dogs around well behaved children. Dachsies aren't golden retrievers...

How old are your grandchildren? Old enough to be taught about respecting small dogs space? Plus, if they are only at your home occassionally, your dog is not used to interacting with children. Children can be unpredictible as far as small dogs are concerned, and perceived as threateneing. However, my first doxie was great with children because she was raised with them and around them constantly. She knew when to run & hide behind the living room sofa! I am thinking the dog might feel scared or threatened, that is why he/she is biting. Why are your grandchildens faces near the dog's face?

This may take a little work on your part and on the parents to teach the children about not cornering or scaring the small dog. Or you could do what I do when my grandchildren come to visit, I put my dacshsie in his kennel where he feels safe. Please don't give up your dog!!

Small dogs don't belong on a bed with a child... small dogs can fall off the bed, and get injured that way.

Is he neutered? That is the first thing to do. The second is find a trainer and take him to obedience training. If the grandkids are old enough you can have one of them go too. I would guess he is the alpha dog and runs the house. Don't let him on the furniture or sleep in your bed. He should stay in the floor. Make him sit and stay before getting food or going outside. Dachshunds are bad about wanting things their way and know how to get it. You have to teach him that he has to do things your way or he doesn't get the reward. Don't feed him table food when you eat and he begs. Your vet should be able to help you find a trainer if you don't know of one in your area.

I had a dachshund that was the same way. He tried biting my hubby finally and we gave him away. Just thought I would let you know. Didn't want to take that chance with other members. He was also neutered, worst dog we ever had. Never had any problems like that we others.

I wholeheartedly agree with anonymous and pet helper. Dachshunds are wonderful, loyal, loving dogs, who like any dog needs training. Over the holidays I had friends visit who both had 12 year old boys. What a difference in these children and the way my dogs reacted and played with them. Don't give up on your dog; it may not be his fault and please, keep any child's face away from a dog!

3 Doxies Mom

I have owned three dachshunds. The two I currently have are rescues. One has nipped two children- one reached through our fence to pet him (so he was protecting his turf.) The other was a 3-year old who was darting around the living room- rapid movements seem to stir him up. Rather than get rid of the dog (he is after all a full-fledged member of my family), I have avoided having small kids in my house- I have no grandchildren so this hasn't been too tough for me. I should eventually take him to a trainer, but have not gotten around to it in the 2 yrs I have had him.

Training might mask some tendencies temporarily, but if this dog just doesn't like children, your grands are at risk. Why not just put the dog out, or isolate it in a closed room when the children visit?

My Daschund Lucky is 10 years old and on occasion would growl at my 10 year old daughter. She grew up with lucky but it appears Lucky treated her like the lower pack dog. Well yesterday she bite my daughter on the face and she had to get 5 stitches.

I would like to get give her away but my family wants to try and re-train her. We bought a mussel today which she will need to wear around her and other non-family. I will keep you posted.

Sounds like you may have a dominance problem. If your dog saw you as pack leader then you wouldn't have this problem. All you would have to do is tell them no and the dogs should listen.

I have a doxie, and she is no good around children either. At first we thought she was protecting her territory but when we put her down she runs up to them and chases them. I know its not all her fault because kids will be unpredictable. The best thing to do is to call in a trainer.

Well I have a 2 year old Doxie and he is very good with children. He even allows the neighboring kids to touch and pamper him and with me around they even take him for a walk. It all depends on how we have trained it when it was a pup.

My little Lucy wasn't around children very much so was never hurt by them but just simply did not like anybody small. Since I didn't have anyone around on a regular basis I just had to put her in her kennel when children did come. I know she needed to be taught but I couldn't risk somebody's face while I was trying to teach her. I couldn't give her up and children aren't frequent visitors so it worked for us.

A boy lying with his orange cat, Tigger.
Keeping Children Safe Around Pets
Pets Dogs Training AdviceDecember 28, 2007
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
Aggressive dog bearing it's teeth and growling.
Dog is Aggressive Towards Children
Toddler Being Aggressive
Toddler Being Aggressive Towards Younger Sibling
🎉
🎄