Use Tall Laundry Hampers as Trash Cans

Tall laundry hampers are about half the price of kitchen size trash cans. You can get them for as little as $5 at Deals!, Family Dollar, and Dollar General and they hold a kitchen size trash bag nicely. You can use it on laundry day for clothes and the rest of the time for a trash can.

By Mrslinkous from KC

Umm... forgive me if I seem squeamish. I'd rather splurge another $5 for a second hamper for my dirty clothes than use the same hamper for both. Seems no matter how careful we are, garbage invariably soils the can itself. I wouldn't want garbage staining my clothes, even if they're headed to the washer, anyway.

I use these tall laundry hampers for storing "hard-to-store"/awkward shaped things such as long rolls of wrapping paper. You can't close the lid but who cares about that?

I also use tall laundry baskets for garbage cans. Just buy the 33 gallon size trash bags and they work beautifully, especially if you cook from scratch every night and have a lot trash from it. I, however, do not use the basket for clothes as well, buy a separate one for that.

I agree with everyone so far. Once I've put trash in a laundry/trash can even with a bag, I'm not putting my laundry into it! Better to splurge and buy a second one for laundry! I however have regular kitchen size trash cans that I bought at Dollar General for $5 several years ago. So trash cans do not cost more if you just shop around.

Laundry Hamper
Uses for Laundry Hampers
Better Living Frugal Living TipsDecember 3, 2009
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
wood trash bin
Homemade Trash Bin Crafts
Blue Trash Can
Cleaning Trash Cans