Use PVC Pipe to Raise Couch's Height

Category Furniture
If you need to raise the height of your couch to make it easier to get up, try using lengths of PVC pipe fitted over the legs. This is a guide about use PVC pipe to raise couch's height.

The older I get, the further down I have to sit, it seems. Being on a disability pension, I was looking for a way to make my couch higher. I have seen blocks made to increase height, but they are very costly. Instead, I unscrewed a leg and took it with me to a hardware store. I purchased a piece of plumbing pipe (black) that just fitted over the wooden foot, increasing the height by 5 inches. For a couple of dollars, I purchased enough pipe (4 x 10 inches) and was able to alter my sofa, a change people notice but can't quite put their finger on. Simple, simple, simple.

Source: This is not MY idea, although I cannot remember where I read it. I do know that it is a novel idea and few have heard of it before. Thank you.

By Flitter from Ontario, Canada

Top Comment

The pipe length quoted was 10 inches (high/long) x 4 pieces (to go over the original legs.) This is plastic PVC or something similar. Hope the picture helps.

Top Comment

My couch had short square legs. Several years ago my husband was struggling to get off the couch so I bought a length of 4" sewer pipe at Home Depot and cut it into even sections and placed it over the legs that were there and it worked perfectly and looks like the legs came with the couch. I cut my pipe into 7" lengths and it was a perfect height.

Hi, just a short question...

you mentioned a pipe of 4x8 inches...

um is the pipe 4 inches wide and 8 inches high

or is it a 4 inch pipe 8 inches wide

these are pipe sections? want to

make sure I got it right. thanks

anbsmommy

I will look immediately if I can do this with my couch. Perhaps I can find a fitting for the bottom of the pipe to make it look good and keep the feet from making deep round circles in the carpet.

Thanks for sharing.

I've been trying to think of a way to do that to our bed without having to purchase "risers". Thanks for the idea.

What if legs are not round,do u think pipe might still work??