LaundryCleaning

Green Spots on Clothing From Washer

I have ruined nearly all of my clothes. There are green spots on nearly everything I wash in my top loader. It's not a new machine, but it's never been abused either. It doesn't seem to matter what fabrics I am washing.

I have run the washer full and used a flashlight to investigate any "residue" in the drum. Nothing. Every time I take wet clothes out the green spots are there and they don't come out with any amount of scrubbing or cleaning product use. I've even experimented with different detergents. Could it be the pipes or something? It's literally got me stymied.

By destinbabe

Could they be coming from your detergent? It is best to fill the washer with water, add the detergent, agitate until the detergent is dissolved, then add the clothes. Lots of detergents contain bleach particles, which might be what are discoloring your clothing. Some detergents do not fully dissolve when washing in cold water either, and may be a problem. Be careful to never overfill the washer with clothing. Run an empty load with just hot water and a gallon of vinegar to clean the washer. With some luck, it may be just this simple.

You wouldn't believe what is on the other side of the drum that we can't see very well. There can be tons of sludge/mold on the inside that comes out through the holes during the washing cycle. Also check around the top of the rim for gunk. What I do occasionally is dump a gallon of cheap vinegar in a wash cycle by itself with no clothes, just the vinegar. If you have a soak cycle on your machine let the water/vinegar sit for a few hours.

You may also have a lime/iron build-up in your machine. I once in awhile put some Iron Out powder in the machine and let it soak, just follow the directions on the container. Never put the vinegar and Iron Out in at the same time! You may end up with a major explosion and harsh chemical fumes when mixing them at the same time. This is an updated/edited post: Right after I posted the above information I decided to go to the Iron Out website. I found out they now make a special cleaner for your problems. It's called Washer Magic! Just put washer magic in your google search and it should come up. Good Luck! :)