Lowering Soil PH With Grass Clippings

Does using green grass clippings in your soil lower the pH of the soil?

By Catz23 from Honolulu, HI

According to this article:

grass clippings will lower the ph of soil.

Doesn't it depend upon the PH of the soil you are adding grass clippings to? If the soil begins very alkaline, the clippings are considered "greens" like leaves which is the basis of acidic soils. It should make it "MORE" acidic, but may not leave it very acidic. Ask your horticulturalist about the particular soil you have. If volcanic, it's already acidic, I understand. If sandy, it may be too salty/ alkalinic?

I lived in Hawaii for three years, and could grow most anything, so I'd test an area if you cannot get proper information, and be more concerned with mold and too much moisture given the amount of rainfall there, and being an island in the ocean.

The rain forests don't worry about much of anything, right? So, you shouldn't either. I'd just not make the grass clippings too thick, adding ground/ crushed charcoal to "sweeten" the soil, and perhaps a bit of gypsum (sp?) if available. If you are adding to the base of trees, it should be no problem. If to a flower bed, you really need to test the soil first. Mold, moisture and mildew, as you know, are the chief problems along with roaches in Hawaii. As least they used to be.

This is why what is known as "common" ivy on the mainland is grown outdoor in Hawaii, and produces leaves a big as dinner plates on vines that wrap up the trees to 30 feet or more in some places. This is also why ferns, Birds of Paradise plants,Bamboo Groves, Banana Trees, Torch ginger, Plumeria, orchids of every sort all grow wild all over Hawaii. It was lovely during the 60's but I got Island fever quickly and was ready to leave not being a native born islander.

The Tsunami warnings got old, fearsome, and the sun too hot! lol I miss the fragrances of the air, however. God luck and God bless you. : )

Home and Garden Gardening SoilMay 1, 2009
Grass Clippings On Sidewalk
Using Grass Clippings That Have Weed Killer On Them
Nice green grass lawn.
Growing Grass in Rocky Soil
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
High Cholesterol With Tangerine
Lowering Your Cholesterol