Lowering Your Cholesterol

High Cholesterol With Tangerine
There are different approaches to lowering bad cholesterol. Your doctor may recommend medications, diet, or a combination of both. This is a guide about lowering your cholesterol.

I know that Thriftyfun is not primarily an advocacy site, but am I furious this morning so I am giving it a shot. My DH (aka Joe) has just spent 3 days in the hospital because his liver count was up. He was having nausea and other symptoms which I don't need to discuss here. He is a a colon cancer survivor so any digestive problem gets me really riled up. Since you folks don't know me well, you need to understand that you do not want me mad at you.

What I want to warn you about is the possibility of liver damage from statin drugs. Joe has been instructed not to take his pravastatin any more. After a couple of days without them his count is getting to be near normal.

I am on an anti statin rampage and I intend to alert every one I can. If you or someone you know is taking statins for cholesterol, please urge them to stop.

By Marty D from Knoxville, TN

Top Comment

I also would caution people against taking statins. I was on them for 5 years before noticing any ill effects, and then the excruciating cramps started - gradually in my legs (calves, shins, inner thighs, toes) at first, then later in my forearms, sides, and across the rib cage.

The doctor did not link these cramps to statins at first, as I had previously not had any side effects but, after many tests (heart stress test, ECG, scan for Carpal tunnel, scan for gall bladder, all coming up clear), she finally took me off the statins and ALL the symptoms disappeared immediately.

As I said, these cramps were excruciating. I would wake up screaming on most nights. Taking Magnesium as suggested by the doctor also did not help. Now I occasionally have the odd cramp, maybe once a month, but they are very mild. I have since read many reports on the internet of many adverse reactions to statins, and would never touch them again!

Top Comment

Please do not stop taking this without doctor's knowledge! There is a chance of this happening but that is why you are suppose to have your cholesterol and kidneys checked every 6 months or once a year. There are side affects on all medicines and some affects people and some don't. Please talk with your doctor if concerned. I just talked with my pharmacy. She is very knowledgeable and keeps me posted on anything concerning my medicine. I have been taken cholesterol medicine for years now but I get mine checked every 6 months!

Do you have trouble remembering which type of cholesterol is the "good cholesterol" and which is the bad? Here's a simple mnemonic that occurred to me:

HIGHER levels of HDL (good) cholesterol will make you and your doctor HAPPY. LOFTIER levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol will LOWER your and your doctor's spirits.

Hope this helps you keep these two important terms straight!

By JustPlainJo from Springfield, OH

Last year at my yearly checkup my doctor said my cholesterol was was up and I was on the verge of needing medication. I was surprised since I usually eat a balanced and healthy diet. My main weakness is sweets, and love my pre bed time snack.

I decided to try Honey Nut Cheerios since it is advertised to lower cholesterol. I started having a bowl before bed to replace my snack. Still was sweet enough to satisfy that craving. Can't say I continued every night but maintained several times a week.

This year at check up my cholesterol had dropped 40 points. My doctor was pleased, as was I.

Nothing scientific to say it was the cheerios but is the only consistent thing I did. So who knows. Worked for me. Always check with your doctor if you have problems.

By Peggy from Cortland, OH

Having been recently diagnosed with high cholesterol I have decided to change some of my eating habits, along with exercise and having to take Lipitor. I have divided the 7 days of the week as follows for my main meal:

Happy cholesterol lowering!

By joesgirl

Has anyone tried "Cholesterblock" for high cholesterol, and has it justified the claims made for it?

Marty from Saint Charles, IL

I have not used this product, but use another awesome product that keeps my cholesterol lower, thus I do not have to take a prescription. I will be glad to tell you about it, if you want another option. It works for me and many others. You can call me at 972-722-1948. If I am not in, leave me a message telling me what you are calling about with your name and phone number and I will call you back. If this is a long distance call for you let me know and I will call you even if I answer the phone.

I have not tried the product you mentioned. But I have used Smart Balance margarine. It works. It actually lowers your cholesterol.

I have not used Cholesterol but if one did and wanted to find out if it worked they need to have a blood test for HDL and LDL then after a few months on Cholesterol another blood test.If the HDL went up and the LDL went down then it probably worked for you.

I was about to order this and found two posts on the net that said they had no results from using this product. One said he had tests done by his doctor before and after 30 days with no change in cholesterol. One said they bill you excessively and you cannot reach customer service due to busy phone lines. Recommendation was not to order this product. So I am not. Hope this helps

I tried it. I used the home cholesterol test they sent me for free before I took it. I then took it for 30 days and checked my levesl with the second free home cholesterol test they sent. It went down 18 points. From 222 to 204. Not bad in 30 days. I'll test again in 5 months.

Scott

I read about CholesterBlock over a year ago in Prevention Magazine, but could never find the product locally. I have been unable to take the statin drugs or other cholesterol drugs that doctors prescribed for me, due to severe side effects. I have tried many other remedies, but nothing brought my cholesterol down significantly; therefore, I was very skeptical about CholesterBlock, but wanted to try it. I am very pleased that my cholesterol is down significantly after 30 days of taking CholesterBlock -- from 237 to 170. I will continue to take CholesterBlock as long as it works and I experience no severe side effects. Highly recommended!

for Bobbie Gillettee: please email the name of the awesome product that keeps your cholesterol low. I need to lower mine because my recent cholesterol reading is 250 and my cardiologists advised to get it down to within normal levels. My Problem is I cant use the statin medication presribed as it has adverse side effects on me. Please email to tonytinsay AT yahoo.com as ur earliest convenience. thanks.

I started Cholesterblock in Nov., using the reader provided, and it was within a point of my doctor's reading a week later. I recorded it by digital camera for evidence if my cholesteral did not go down after taking the dosage prescribed for a few months (for the money-back guarantee). After four months taking a tablet faithfully morning and night, I had my cholesteral checked again at my clinic, and the reading was exactly the same, and my HDL level was up! I was hugely disappointed, of course, and now I'm working on getting my money back...wish me luck!

I have been using Cholesterblock for just a few days,so can't say if it works as claimed.

Try Cholesterol Care by EWI. It really works!

I have used Chloest- off by Nature Made - as well as other plant statin products - when I eat particularly fatty foods - and drink only red wine/lite beer and drink lots of TEA - all of which have made my good cholesterol sky high - so overall my cholesterol ration is really low - 2 to 1....

I tried it. It didn't work as well as I expected, but I was impressed with the company. They send yu a free home cholesterol test with purchase. Then, if you call them again, they will send you a second one. So I tested my cholesterol before and after. It went from 210 to 206. I was hoping for more.So I called them again and sent it back for a full refund. All of it was really easy. The guy on the phone said that they effect the cholesterol from food. And I eat really well so that might have been why it had not worked that well for me.

So if you have a healthy, low fat diet, I probably wouldn't try it. But if you don't they seem to be a great company to work with.

Hope that helps

After 1 month of taking Cholesterblock, my cholesterol lab values dropped from 287 to 258. However, I had to stop the product due to the side effect of extreme fatigue, as much as what the statins caused. The B vitamins included with the preparation did not adequately replace what was being leached out. Sadly, I'm still searching for a solution to hypercholesterolemia.

Do not try the Cholesterblock...their advertising is misleading and you will have many charges on your credit card. I am currently fighting repayment of a charge

I do know of two things that when taken together will definitely reduce your triglycerides and cholesterol markedly. They are not market for this purpose, as far as I know. I am actually a cancer patient, and I have found this out incidentally. Fot the kind of cancer that I have, the cancer cells actually eat cholesterol, so really there is no benefit to me from this. These are not garlic or something that is normally sold for this purpose.

I am unsure how I should get the word out on this. I am not sure they would work for everyone, and there are actually a lot of things sold as these supplements that have no value whatsoever, or they have additives that are very unhealthy or are not protected from oxidation, which makes one of these supplement worthless

If you have any idea what you think I should do with this information, please let me know. My idea was to get a website up about various health issues, and only ask people to try it. If it worked, I would like people to donate to one of a number of organizations for my specific type of cancer.

Is there a better way?

Alex Maas

a.maas AT cox.net

Editor's Note: Hi Alex,

Because ThriftyFun has very good indexing, it would be good in any case to post it here. If you do start up a website, you can post the link as well. Unless we feel that what you are proposing is dangerous, we will post it. You can also ask that people give to your cancer organizations.

I was on statins(Lipitor) and they made me feel terrible.

I switched to slow acting Niacin (1000 mg @ night).

My cholesterol plumetted!

No side effects, but you have to build up slowly to the full dose

I just finished taking Cholesterblock for 30 days 7/7/07 and i am very happy to tell you that it works.'

Started with 200 and went to 167 cholesterol in 30 days. The 200 was hospital lab and the 167 was the test kit they sent. I took a kit test before my hospital lab test and they read the same 200.

I'm not a fan of cholesterol lowering medications. I dont think that cholesterol is the enemy, it's just an indication that something is not working right in your body. So they may in fact lower your cholesterol but havent done anything to solve the original problem.

They work in your liver and while longtime cholestrol medicine use does lower heart disease risk it also increases cancer risk.

Despite that my husband takes Ezetrol and refuses to stop. But he is very conscientious about actually getting the blood test printouts from his doc from regular blood checks. And studies them.

He discovered on one that while his cholesterol was continuing to go down his triglicerides were rocketing. Had he not discovered this himself his doc would never have noticed or cared.

Take an active interest in your health care. Nobody cares about your health as much as you do.

I need tips on how to lower my cholesterol. Any diet tips and easy meals to fix that are low in cholesterol would be helpful. I also have to incorporate lowering my sugar intake.

fab4mom from Walker, LA

Answers:

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My husband got me a Vita-Mix for Christmas. I absolutely love it. It comes with a wonderful recipe book filled with recipes that are healthy and taste great. They have a web site you can check out and they also have demonstrations occasionally at Costco. It's an initial expensive investment, but well worth it! (03/12/2006)

By Abubika

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

A recent study proved that eating certain foods are just as effect in lowering cholesterol as statins. Here is a portion of the findings: "A new study showed people who ate a diet rich in cholesterol-lowering foods, such as soy protein, almonds, plant sterol-enriched margarines, and natural fiber (from items such as oats, psyllium, okra, and eggplant) for a year lowered their cholesterol levels by 20% or more, a reduction comparable with that found with statins". The entire article can be found at:

http://www.webmd.com/content/Article/119/113532.htm

(03/13/2006)

By Marnita

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

I started cooking with ONLY Olive Oil and both my hubby and I had good cholesterol levels at our last doctor's visit (from higher cholesterol). I even use olive oil with a bit of butter in it for popcorn, and it's so good. In fact, my sister in law told me yesterday that she'd just eaten some popcorn with "your mixture" poured over it and she loves it. That's the only way she eats it now, too. (03/13/2006)

By Luvyabye

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

First of all, a diet closer to nature such as plant related is best. Get rid of the processed junk and lower your meat intake if you are currently eating it. Raw garlic everyday is wonderful for your cholesterol along with celery stalks (organic please if possible) and celery juice. I have come so far adapting a raw vegan diet. Good luck! It can be done naturally. (03/13/2006)

By Tone

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

First of all, have you had all your levels tested along with your cholesterol. If your liver is not functioning
correctly that could at least help account for high cholesterol. It is medically proven that one ounce of almonds (about 14 whole ones) do lower cholesterol. YOU MUST EAT THEM EVERY DAY. Missing occasionally is OK but it has to be regular.

Stay away from any fatty foods or sweet processed foods. Try to keep it natural. Since you have a cholesterol challenge you may need to start thinking about your heart health. Even if everything is Ok now, why not consider taking cold pressed MAX EPA fish oil capsules. Best of all consult a naturopath physician an ND as opposed to an MD. Natural remedies are always preferred. The best of everything to you. (03/13/2006)

By Angellface.

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

All the diet tips are full of great info., but I noticed that not one person mentioned the obvious - - - get more exercise. Start a walking program. I no longer have to take medication for high cholesterol since I started walking 2 miles a day. It does work. (03/13/2006)

By lovethosehounds

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

I heard fish oil pills help to lower your cholesterol but talk to your physician or pharmacist first before you try anything. (03/13/2006)

By JILLSAVES

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

the readers digest website has some great tips and meal plans for cholesterol as does the better homes and gardens (bhg.com) website. You can print out the articles for handy reference. Good luck (03/13/2006)

By nanalori

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My doctor has me taking 500 mg, of time released Niacin. My cholesterol dropped from 240 to 203 in 6 months, the HDL and LDL are right where the doctor wants them. Before starting any supplements you need to discuss it with your doctor. (03/13/2006)

By Poco

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My total cholesterol is 204 which isn't bad, lower would be better but that's only 4 pts higher than what is recommended. My tryglicerides are a bit high now tho so I need to stay away from the fried foods (fast food). Anyway, exercise is supposed to help cholesterol. Eat oatmeal. You can take Metamucil, also flax seed oil is supposed to help too. Cholesterol comes from animal products by the way. (03/14/2006)

By Debbie52

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

Here's another plug for flaxseed - either the oil or ground flaxseed. You still have to cut down on the saturated fats in your diet - eat chicken and turkey breast instead of red meat - lots of vegetables too. Go easy on the fruit if you are watching your sugar. Both my husband and I have lowered our cholesterol and triglycerides just by watching our diet (read labels) and taking flaxseed. Good Luck! (03/14/2006)

By Joankay

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

My husband has AWESOME cholesterol results, even with eating bacon/sausage/eggs everyday. We eat a lot of garlic, classic olive oil (never extra virgin) and supplement more veggies for pasta/rice. We eat only whole grain wheat bread, snack foods are popcorn, nuts or pork rinds! Low carb was the best way to lose the weight, and then we saw the direct impact on cholesterol. Oatmeal (rolled or quick, instant isn't as much) is another staple in our house. My kids also eat the same way, but they get the occasional side of rice/pasta. We try to focus more on the vegetables and fruit, dairy and whole-grains. We also have a lot of Mediterranean influence in our cooking, due to my husband's family background. We cook a lot ahead for hectic nights, and carry our own snacks to avoid garbage foods (03/14/2006)

By camo_angels

Tips to Lower Your Cholesterol

Just a couple of suggestions: for breakfast mix two or three Tbsp. raw oat bran with a fairly thick veggie juice (I use V-8 but home made is even better) in a medium to large glass and stir well, then chug it down. You will need to chase it to rinse the bran on down and it's not much fun, but doing this every day is very good for digestion. Also when my mother was diagnosed with high cholesterol she was told she could eat all the saurkraut she wanted. I have often prepared variations of saurbraten in the oven using beef and pork with kraut, red wine, caraway seeds and brown sugar. I haven't tried it but this might work well with chicken and your favorite sugar substitute. White wine might work better for chicken, I don't know. I've also used this on various sausages to excellent effect so if you can find some very lean sausages you might try it. Good luck! (03/24/2006)

By Alph