Low Cholesterol Recipes

Finding good recipes that reduce cholesterol consumption is important to many people's diets. This page contains low cholesterol recipes.

This is a recipe that my friend recently gave to me. She made this recipe to use as a snack for her husband who is a diabetic, and also has to watch his cholesterol. It is very good and very good for you.

Dry ingredients:

**Note: Konsyl is a sugar free 100% Psyllium Fiber product available at the pharmacy. This is added because most people do not get enough fiber in their diet.

Liquid ingredients:

Directions:

Stir the liquids into the dry mixture thoroughly, making sure they are all moistened. Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick spray, and pat the dough evenly in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool and cut in squares.

To get the health benefits, be sure to use whole wheat flour (preferably stone ground), and the Konsyl. Do not substitute or omit these ingredients.

I need recipes for people with high cholesterol.

Catherine

Answers

By Mae (Guest Post)

Make recipes from tuna, sardines and salmon canned in oil, since the oil contains omega 3, which is a vital oil for treating cholesterol (you can also take omega 3 tablets). Add to your fish cans a variety of dark green leaves such as red cabbage, spinach, parsley, etc.

Avoid frying food and opt for baking instead. Use ripe avocado as a substitute to butter your whole grain bread sandwiches. Bake red potatoes in their skin. Avoid fatty sweets and opt for fruits instead. And remember that some cholesterol is heredity.

Get a vegan cookbook. Vegan has no animal products at all. Vegetarian can include eggs and cheese (which you don't want).
Become acquainted with tofu and tempeh (health food store).

By Cathy from Townsville, QLD (Guest Post)

See if you can buy a certain type of butter in the supermarket designed especially to treat this. Also, my mum had high cholesterol, and I told her to eat half a raw onion every day.

Her cholesterol levels dropped! You can also look for cholesterol-lowering tablets in the vitamin section of your supermarket or health shop. Failing that, a doctor can prescribe stuff for you. The most important thing is your diet - cut back on fats ASAP!

I am looking for recipes to help lower cholesterol.

By Es from Riyadh

Answers

My husband had high cholesterol but I didn't; yes we eat the same foods so not all is due to food but how your body processes and deals with fat and cholesterol in the body. Also my dog had high cholesterol and this worked for her too - oatmeal. Now it didn't take their cholesterol into normal levels but it took a huge chunk out. I did other things for my dog but that's a different post.

My husband's diet is relatively good - no fried foods, barely any meat, no dairy to speak of except yogurt, never any boxed or processed foods and already took fish oil so it was hard to make dietary changes so he didn't have to take medication.

So what we did was made more changes: Worked hard to made veggies the focus of our lives, especially beans. I incorporate beans and mushrooms in place of meat in most meals. He now snacks on fruit and avocado when in season is our best friend. The question we both ask is how can we eat more plant based foods today?
What he also did was get back in the gym and committed to going. He has stuck with it and with all the changes made, his levels are now within the normal range.

Something to keep in mind though is that this was not easy. But he wanted it and opened his mind to eating new foods and eating old foods in a new way. When once he would shy away from Brussels sprouts, he now asks when can we have Brussels sprouts. I guess what I'm saying is that it's a big commitment if you don't want to be on medication. It's a real life style change that you have to want to make. I know I didn't give you any recipes, but the bottom line is this: Follow a plant based diet as much as you can. If you want meat, make it an accent not the main part of your meal. Exercise.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some recipes for people who are trying to lower their cholesterol? I have hundreds, maybe even thousands of recipes, but of the ones I have, I seem to have a real shortage of recipes that would fit that bill. My husband has high cholesterol and I'm sure I have, too, since I eat the same things that he does.

Also, can anyone tell me of a good place to go for some cholesterol and sugar lowering guidelines? We both want desperately to lose weight, too. Thanks ahead of time for the advice!

Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

I recently read an article on WebMD about results of a recent study that proved certain foods lower cholesterol better than statins. Here is part of that article with those foods listed:

Cholesterol-Lowering Diet Packs Punch

Diet Rich in Cholesterol-Lowering Foods Lowers Cholesterol Level by 20%

By Jennifer Warner
WebMD Medical News
Reviewed By Louise Chang, MD
on Friday, March 10, 2006

March 10, 2006 -- Eating a mostly plant-based diet rich in several cholesterol-lowering foods may lower cholesterol levels nearly as effectively as taking cholesterol-lowering statin drugs.

A new study showed people who ate a diet rich in cholesterol-lowering foods, such as soy protein, almonds, plant sterol-enriched margarines, and natural fiber (from items such as oats, psyllium, okra, and eggplant) for a year lowered their cholesterol levels by 20% or more, a reduction comparable with that found with statins. (03/15/2006)

By Marnita

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

If you eat high fiber foods, low fat foods, and lots of fruits and veggies you are guaranteed to lose weight and lower your cholesterol. I did this and it works. (03/15/2006)

By vjames

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

My husband had to have a stint put in a year ago this past Christmas. We found out that at this time his bad cholesterol was near 1000. Partly from diet, the rest he inherited from his father. So in cutting his cholesterol we found that part of the cholesterol came from fat, but the big part came from dairy products. I buy mostly fat free when possible and low fat the rest of the time.

This diet dropped his cholesterol to a level that was acceptable. There are many dairy products that come fat free nowadays so that is not a problem. His doctor suggested we should have red meat once a week and have fish, chicken and turkey the other days. (03/16/2006)

By Carol

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

When I cook, I use canola or olive oil whenever possible. Olive oil will tend to burn quickly when used on high temps. So when I know I'm going to be using higher temps on the stove top, I use canola oil. We've been using ground turkey meat (but in the sausage style, as it's more flavorful than the regular ground turkey), in place of ground beef, for several years now. I hardly ever buy ground beef. We have beef occasionally, but not as often as we were, about 5 years ago (when my cholesterol level was at its all time high).

I recently had a blood test to test all my levels, my cholesterol was in the 'great' range, as well as everything else but my magnesium level. We very seldom eat fried foods. If we want chips, I buy the whole grain Frito Lay brand 'Sun Chips' or their 'Baked Lays Chips.' I try to have these on hand all the time, if not my husband will come home with the greasy chips. We don't buy cookies very often, nor do I bake often.

Finding out that I was diabetic a few years back, put a stop to all of that, real fast. The most important thing in weight loss is to drink the required 6-8 glasses of water a day, eating right, and exercise. If you do that, you'll not need any costly weight loss program. Learning to eat correctly is the biggest deal, if you don't know how, and can go, visit a dietitian. I learned lots from the one that I visited. Your insurance company might even pay for your dietitian visit. My insurance company paid nearly all of my visits. Best of Luck, Robin! (03/17/2006)

By badwater

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

Hi Robin: Just reading all your yummy recipes is enough to make my cholesterol go sky high! Seriously though, you can still eat well and enjoy delicious food by using lots of veggies, poultry and fish. Go to Google and find out about "low glycemic foods" - this really helped me lose weight. Also, flax seed (ground) or flax seed oil capsules will definitely help lower your cholesterol. Let us know how you are doing. (03/17/2006)

By Joan

Recipes for Lowering Your Cholesterol

All the ideas I've read so far are great. Here are some I've used to lower my cholesterol and am no longer on any meds for it. I use flax seed flakes in most of my cooking, from sauces to pancakes and cornbread, except where the light color is wanted. Not only are you increasing the fiber, but it also helps the body slow the digestion time and gives the pancreas a chance to do its thing with insulin, this helps keep your sugar levels more normal.

Also, did you know barley does better at lowering cholesterol than even oatmeal? So, I mix barley with my rice dishes, this gives a nutty flavor because it doesn't cook as quickly as the rice. Barley soup is good too. Oh, and if you eat oatmeal, then add some nuts and fruit. Makes it taste better and you don't use as much sweetener, now I don't use any other type of sweetener in it. Walnuts work great for all the nutrition they have.

If you make your own breads you might also think about including other types of flours, rye, barley, etc and nuts and seeds which will help lower that cholesterol.

The other big tip is to take any tips at a pace which gives you time to adjust. Sometimes we go all out and then lose interest, a steady pace works better for the long term. Happy Eating. Food not only provides fuel but good conversation while eating makes it process better too. (04/01/2008)

By Dee Terry