Scratches In Bathtub Finish

I was removing appliques from a tub and scrubbed too hard taking off some of the surface. How can I fix it? Can I paint?

By Melody from Burke, VA

Answers

I have painted a porcelain tub before. The local hardware store like Lowe's can show you the paint.

May 14, 2010 Flag

My daughter was being helpful by cleaning her fish tank in our brand new bathtub. In so doing she made some deep scratches in the finish. Is there something I can do to remove deep scratches and refinish the areas, short of a professional job?

Brian from Tuddern, Germany

Answers:

Scratches In Bathtub Finish

What is the bathtub made of? What is the finish like?

Certain cast plastics, having the color embedded, can be sanded with fine sandpaper or a sanding sponge. If the finish was glossy then a plastic polish can restore the glossiness. A matte finish may look OK even after sanding.

If it's enamel over metal, are you sure it's scratched? Metal (like fish tank frame) rubbed on enamel can leave dark lines. These dark lines are easily removed with any household abrasive powdered cleanser. If it actually managed to scratch, look in appliance stores for a matching color of touch up paint sold in little jars with a brush top. With care, scratched enamel can be filled in using this paint. (10/23/2008)

By Red Neck

Home and Garden Repair Home BathroomMay 14, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
A bathtub.
Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎉
🎄