What Can I Use on Combination Oily and Dry Hair that is also Frizzy ?

I have a major problem. I have oily hair. I have tried everything imaginable. If I do go one day without washing my hair, it's worse. So I use baby powder, but then I have static in my hair. I have used the Static Guard for your clothes, but after reading this I know now I shouldn't use it.

I also have dry hair. It looks like horse hair. I have frizzy hair as well. So I don't have one hair problem, I have four. If anyone could help me that would be great. I'm tired of dealing with this, and I'm kind of tired of using baby powder. Please help. Thank you.

By Holly from Hammond, IN

Try this for a month [to give your hair time to find it's natural balance]. Take 3 Tablespoons of baking soda, the arm and hammer stuff, dissolve in large glass of warm water [try doing this over kitchen sink to give yourself time to rub into hair without it rinsing out as it would in shower]. If you do it in shower after you've tried it and get the hang of it, make sure to use a plastic glass so you don't risk breakage. Pour over roots of hair and massage in. Rinse well. Let dry to see how it worked.

If it seems too dry, next time have a glass with 1 tablespoon vinegar in it and rinse with that, and then with plain water.

Let dry. If hair seems too dry, spritz dry area with water and with wet hands put one drop glycerine in wet hands, rub together, and rub on dry areas of hair.

So to try this method you will need a box of baking soda, some vinegar and a bottle of glycerin.Glycerin is very concentrated and sticky but it is in almost all cosmetics and hair products, but one drop or at most two [yes, tiny, little drop, that's all] will dissolve in water and add feeling of moisture for at least a day.

There is a movement to not use shampoo because of all the problems people have and the expense. I wash with soda water 3 times out of 4. I may use a very dilute shampoo solution once in a while. I never use anything else and my hair is shiny and soft [I'm old]. But we have every kind of hair in our family, so I know what you mean about combination hair.

You can also google the no shampoo movement and find other suggestions on the net. I like how my hair feels. Just less gummed up and it feels clean, it looks clean, it smells clean, so I guess it is. I don't use the glycerin touch on my hair because it tends to be oily, but if I had dry patches, that's what I'd use. I use one or 2 drops on wet hands to moisturize my face. I don't care for lotion.

Also if your hair is long, you would be surprised what old fashioned brushing does for distributing the oil along the hair shaft. I had read that as a young woman and thought it was a waste of my time, but now that I'm older and have long hair, and more time on my hands, I find it to be true. You can brush your hair and the oil distributes and it's as if it disappeared. Amazing. I got a fuller bush, natural bristle brush, comes in several softnesses and I love it. They last for years.

Wash your hair with soap of your choice, rinse and cut one lemon in halves and rub all over your hair and rinse well. Removes oil and gives your hair a shine.

H-m-mmm, I'd sit down and think this through:

1) Do I have lots of hair per square inch?

2) Is each hair fairly thick/coarse? Brush too often?

3) Is the oil coming from my own scalp, from what I apply myself, or from perhaps from oily skin when I sleep, toss and turn?

4) Do I eat a fair amount of greasy, fast, fried, meat or other foods like most other people?

5) About how long have I had this problem?

6) I assume that your hair is blonde or the baby powder would be unsightly? Do you use this rather than wash it?

7) Can I forget much of what I've heard, been told, read and now begin afresh?

8) Is this condition/ type of hair genetic? What have others in my family done for themselves?

9) Are you aware that certain nationalities have different kinds of hair? What is your nationality? It would help to know this to determine what might help?

10) Am I willing and able to buy simple products to try to correct the problem, knowing you may have used too harsh chemicals/ products?

11) Do you have any "whorls" or "cowlicks" that you are aware of? Sometimes there are so many that the hair will not cooperate regardless.

12) Do you tint, bleach, frost, tip, or perm your hair?

13) Do you take multivitamins/ minerals? or any RX meds?

14) Do you exercise or sit down more?

15) Are you in the sun, or the pool/ shower a lot?

16) Do you drive a vehicle with the windows open?

17) Can you stop washing your hair so often?

18) Have you tried advice from professional hair dressers who recommend a different hair style? Use hot rollers or a curling iron?

19) Are you under a great amount of stress/ tension?

20) what kind of shampoo/ conditioner/ moisturizer, etc. do you use?

These are the questions that need answering and depending upon your answers, that's what advice I'd give for your decision-making.

I doubt that you have a combination type hair. Perhaps it's oily around your hair line, then dryer at the top of your scalp, but this is just normal and God created hair that way. It's not some bizarre combination.

I may be slower to respond, but I will try to check in more often. I have a lot "on my plate" to deal with and am now

retired, but I have hair-dresser's license, and can offer some advice perhaps, but am retired.

God bless you, : )

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips Frizzy HairApril 26, 2010
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎄
🍂