Saving School Paperwork

I know how precious and special looking back on my children's school work really is. Every day, when we empty his backpack, the 7 year old and I put all his work into a box. Since I check his school work/homework each evening by initialing and dating it, it's easy to sort through and pick the best of each month to save.

Even saving 1 paper per week of the school year for looking at in the future would be less than 36 pages. Take those to the local copy shop and have them laminated. That way, you don't have to worry about them being ruined in storage. Mark a manila envelope (just large enough for the largest kept piece) with name and grade (include the name of the school and the teachers involved as well) and pop them all safely inside. You can either store on a closet shelf or in a box that will hold all 12 years.

It's a wonderful thing to allow the new first grader to look over their parent's first grade work!

By Kelly from Monongah, West Virginia

You are the kind of parent any teacher would love! We call it "portfolio-ing" and encourage families to help kids make portfolios. The school also keeps one paper from each academic subject from the beginning and end of the year to pass on to the next grade. At the end of elementary school all those papers go home. It's a great encouragement for the parents and the kids to see how much they have grown.

Being a teacher myself, I taught my daughter early to portfolio. Now she automatically keeps papers she likes in an accordian file. It's a good skill to have.

Parenting General Parenting Memory KeepingOctober 18, 2007
Health Insurance Claims Paperwork
Organizing Health Insurance Paperwork
Organizing Household Paperwork
Organizing Household Paperwork
A variety of sports equipment
Saving Money on Sports Equipment for School
Cabinet with Multi-colored Hanging Files
Organizing Paperwork For Taxes