Shaping Crocheted Doilies

How do I get the lace of a doily I crocheted to stand up? I am using starch, but what can I use to hold it up until it is dry?

By sassyone19606 from OK

My mother-in-law crochets alot, and has a large styrofoam lid from an old styro cooler. She will starch the doiles, spread them out with her fingers, then use straight pins to hold them steady. On parts that may need to stand up, like 3D leaves, she will stick in several pins all around the outside to prop them up until it dries.

She said that she lets them dry at least 24 hours before removing, then keeps them on the bed in the guest room, to lay flat, until she gives them to whoever they are for.

Hope this helps you some, and good luck to you!

If it is ruffled, just mold tin foil to the shape you want and put the doily on top of it.

I can remember when I was young, back in the 60's, my mother would wash crocheted doilies, soak them in starch water and then spread them on a piece of foam that was about 1 or 2 inches thick and probably 20 x 20 inches in size. She would then pin them in place with straight pins and put it someplace in the sun to dry.

Crafts CrochetAugust 4, 2009
Plate of meatballs.
Shaping Meatballs
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Presents wrapped in paper with doilies as accents.
Crafts Using Doilies
Hands Shaping Meat Patties
Making Hamburger Patties