Use a Can Lid to Prevent Boil Overs

This tip is for boiling pasta, noodles, rice, etc. The next time you have an empty can, remove the lid. When you are boiling water, place the lid in the bottom of the pot. This will keep the water from boiling over. Be careful removing lid, as it will have jagged edges.

Source: I read about this tip many years ago.

By Robin from Gothenburg, Sweden

You don't have to have sharp edges. Walmart has a can opener that takes the whole lid off and leaves not one sharp edge. It is with all the other hand hand held appliances. Thought Dad was nuts when he spent money on the first one now I use it all the time.

A small amount of butter or olive oil ( 1-2 teaspoonsful)

will work also. Turn down the fire to just simmer.

GG Vi

Yes, I can't even believe that they sell boil-minders in gourmet gadget stores! I have one of those can openers that leaves a smooth edge and I've been using the can lids of the spaghetti sauce I buy ever since. I'd never pay for one (they cost anywhere from 5-10! How silly)

Be careful the can does not have a plastic lining on it. The lining in it may have harmful ingredients that are not meant for cooking.

Hi, folks, I just have to share something I discovered last year. I don't have the patience to cook individual servings of grits, oatmeal, and rice, so I prefer to put the dish in the microwave and return when the dish is ready to eat. No rinsing, soaking, babysitting, stirring, etc. The secret I have discovered that prevents boilover is a tall container with straight (not tapered) sides that also fits into the microwave (measure your microwave's internal height using a tape measure).

The tool I use is a 2000-mL glass or plastic beaker. Just google 2000 mL beaker, and you should be able to find a glass one for ~$15 or a plastic one for ~$5. I prefer glass because cleanup is so easy. Please enjoy and share my recipes below, and if you have tips for me, I'd love to hear them!

Notes: Butter, salt, and sugar are optional, as I don't have boilover whether I add them or not. My microwave is an 1100 Watt microwave with an internal height of 9 inches from the turntable to the roof of the microwave. These recipes can be scaled up for use in large microwaveable bowls with tall sides and at least a 6 quart capacity.

1. Oatmeal (quick, traditional, gluten-free, etc.): 2/3 cup oatmeal, 1 and 1/3 cup water, 1 Tbs sugar, 1 pat of butter, 1 dash of salt, and microwave for 5 minutes at full power.

2. Quick grits: 1/4 cup quick five-minute grits, 1 and 1/4 cup water, and microwave for 5 minutes at full power.

3. Traditional grits: 1/4 cup traditional grits, 1 and 1/2 cup water, and microwave for 6 minutes and 30 seconds at full power.

4. Brown rice: 1/2 cup rice, 2 cups water, and microwave for 30 minutes at 70% power (or, 1 cup rice, 3 cups water, and microwave for 40 minutes at 50% power).

5. Basmati rice or jasmine rice: 1/2 cup rice, 1 cup + 1 oz of water, and microwave for 15 minutes at 50% power.

Happy microwaving!

Pot With Boiling Water
Preventing a Pot From Boiling Over
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 14, 2008
pan with lid
Removing a Lid Stuck on a Pan
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
Two metal garbage cans.
Keeping the Lid on Your Garbage Can
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
🎉
🎄