Overcoming Anxiety in the Dentist's Chair

If you are apprehensive like me, and hate getting shots at the dentist office, I have a trick. I always lift one leg slightly when I know my dentist is giving me the shot. My sister told me a dental assistant had shared this tip with her; concentrating on something else takes your mind off of the shot. It helps with some of the anxiety! Try it the next time you have to get dental work!

By Karen from Union, SC

This reminded me of my personal favorite. When getting a shot or something, pick the area farthest from the incoming boo boo, and wiggle it. If you are getting a shot in your right arm, for instance, wiggle your left little toe. It does actually help quite a lot.

And if you need more, you can twirl your toe in a circle while lifting the leg! Great tip, I really hope it helps someone get in the door of a dental office for relief of problems. thanks!

Well... as a four-time Lamaze vet (I've had four children, all with Lamaze technique,) that always worked for me while the Novocaine was going in. I use the Lamaze breathing as my "distractor" for anything painful or uncomfortable, even pelvic exams at the doctor's office.

Any little technique that helps, though!

Avoiding Stress at the Dentist
Avoiding Stress at the Dentist
Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 20, 2009
Smiling child in dental chair
Finding a Good Dentist
Dog With Separation Anxiety
Remedies for Dogs With Separation Anxiety
Recycled wooden chair planter.
Making a Chair Planter
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair