Removing a Sticky Residue from Car Windows

I recently got a new car. New to me anyways. The back windows are sticky on the inside. The very back window looks like something was scraped off of it. I've used window cleaner, soap and water, and vinegar and water. Nothing has worked. Does anyone know what I can use to get it off?

By Heather

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Well, if it is a brand new car as you say I would return the car to the dealer and have his recon department clean the glass.

Try some WD-40 and if that does not work, use a product called "Goof-Of". There is another product that you can buy at home improvement stores to remove gummy substance but I cannot remember the name of it right now. If you ask there, they should know.

It's a used car actually. It was bought from a family acquaintance. I should have stated that. Sorry. I'll try the WD 40 and if it doesn't work I'll try the Goo-off. Thanks.

Try alcohol or nail polish remover.

Try "Goo-Gone" from the hardware store.

Try WD40 it has worked for me on any stickey residue. then after it gets all the sticky off. Regular window cleaner should finish the job.

May sound weird, but I have used peanut butter to get labels off of jars that wouldn't come off.

I purchased a product from Walmart called Ultra Citrus. It smells like oranges and will take off sticky stuff like bumper stickers, etc.

Use lighter fluid (like the kind for zippo lighters) on a very small piece of cotton ball or toilet paper & soak the adhesive & rub. You may have to do this twice, but I've kept lighter fluid in my house for over 30 years. Then clean the spot with good cleaner. My ex used to work for a grocery store & they used this way of getting rid of this kind of thing.

Try plain old vegetable oil then wash with dawn dish detergent, then window cleaner. Anything sticker will come off with vegetable oil.

Answer

Consumer Advice Cars Cleaning InteriorSeptember 3, 2010
Mirror
Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror
Leather Jacket
Removing Sticky Residue from Name Tag on Leather Jacket
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Woman cleaning greasy frying pan.
Removing Sticky Grease Residue from Pans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 12, 2016 at 6:50:36 AM on 10.0.0.209 in 295 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.