Removing a Sticky Residue from Car Windows

I recently got a new car. New to me anyways. The back windows are sticky on the inside. The very back window looks like something was scraped off of it. I've used window cleaner, soap and water, and vinegar and water. Nothing has worked. Does anyone know what I can use to get it off?

By Heather

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Deanj 917 09/04/2010

Well, if it is a brand new car as you say I would return the car to the dealer and have his recon department clean the glass.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Elaine 173 890 09/04/2010

Try some WD-40 and if that does not work, use a product called "Goof-Of". There is another product that you can buy at home improvement stores to remove gummy substance but I cannot remember the name of it right now. If you ask there, they should know.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By heather 1 1 09/04/2010

It's a used car actually. It was bought from a family acquaintance. I should have stated that. Sorry. I'll try the WD 40 and if it doesn't work I'll try the Goo-off. Thanks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Cindy 1 09/04/2010

Try alcohol or nail polish remover.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Pat Phillips 3 72 09/07/2010

Try "Goo-Gone" from the hardware store.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Marie 6 31 09/08/2010

Try WD40 it has worked for me on any stickey residue. then after it gets all the sticky off. Regular window cleaner should finish the job.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Della 55 09/08/2010

May sound weird, but I have used peanut butter to get labels off of jars that wouldn't come off.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Maya Lee 14 172 09/08/2010

I purchased a product from Walmart called Ultra Citrus. It smells like oranges and will take off sticky stuff like bumper stickers, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By christine M. Thayer 2 232 09/08/2010

Use lighter fluid (like the kind for zippo lighters) on a very small piece of cotton ball or toilet paper & soak the adhesive & rub. You may have to do this twice, but I've kept lighter fluid in my house for over 30 years. Then clean the spot with good cleaner. My ex used to work for a grocery store & they used this way of getting rid of this kind of thing.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By tnphoenixrising 7 46 07/24/2011

Try plain old vegetable oil then wash with dawn dish detergent, then window cleaner. Anything sticker will come off with vegetable oil.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No