Waffles for Grilled Sandwiches

I planned to have sandwiches and soup for dinner last night. We were in the midst of another downpour so I did not want to head out to the store. I decided to use some waffles that were in the freezer for our bread. I put a little butter in the pan, about a tablespoon, and let that melt on medium heat. I put sandwich fixings in between two waffles, deli sliced turkey and cheese. I heated the sandwich, pressing occasionally and flipping once with a spatula until the waffles turned crisp. I made peanut butter and jelly between the waffles for my grandson and he loved it. Anyway it was a big hit. My husband thought his tasted like a panini-style sandwich. I plan to make them again with different fillings. Try it and see what you think! The grocery stores around us often have Eggo Waffles on sale, so I buy several boxes when they are.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Thanks for the good idea. Will try it!

What an awesome idea...I'll bet they are quite tasty that way!

God Bless,

Sheila in Titusville, FL

Good idea, Bobbie, especially in the summer when it's too hot to cook for more than a few minutes.

My mom used to cook extra pancakes and we would use them to make sandwiches. They are very good that way, too.

Love the thought of peanut butter and jelly between waffles...I'm going to try that. Sounds like it's a simple way of having a sweet 'sandwich'.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 12, 2007
slicing onions
Grilled Onion Recipes
Mashed Potato Waffles
Mashed Potato Waffles
Waffles About to be Frozen
Freezing Waffles