Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

What Color to Paint Kitchen with Dark Green Counter Tops

Pin It

I need some suggestions in upgrading my kitchen. I do know I want the wallpaper gone. Please give suggestions on color for walls with the green counter tops. Also what would be a goo floor type besides white. The white floors are really hard to keep clean. Help please!Photos of nice kitchen ideas would be appreciated so much!

Kim from Macon, GA

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By connie [11]10/25/2008

You and I have the same kitchen. I just came across your help post. I was wondering what you did as far as colors go? I know it's been a while since your post but I am a new member. Any help you can give me would be great. Thanks a lot from buckdoe

By Malinda [3]07/05/2008

I have white cupboards and dark green counter tops too. I painted my kitchen apricot and I love it. It is so refreshing and bright.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)07/03/2008

I"d stick with a lighter shade of green for painting the walls. Don't use mint. Look for a shade of green that has some yellow or grey in it. Yellow green will warm the room. Also, you might want to consider yellowish green if your room doesnt get much sunlight. Otherwise use the grey green. I think using green will give the room a cohesive look because it ties in with the countertops.

One can never go wrong with another neutral. Grey is popular today, but I think of beige for a neutral shade for flooring or walls. Use either one of those colors with your white cabinets. If you are planning to paint the cabinets, I'd choose an off white shade that leans toward beige (ivory?) or butter cream.

Choose a very bright color for an accent color to be used in towels, throw rugs, and curtains. One person suggested purple which I found interesting. It would make it like grapes, purple and green. That is a nice theme for a kitchen if you are looking for a theme. Other accent colors you might consider are bright red, yellow or orange. For my accent color, I'd consider colors used in adjacent rooms. I"d also consider sunlight. If your room is dark, use yellow (or orange). If your room is brightly lit with sunlight, use purple or red.

Best of luck

By Karen (Guest Post)07/03/2008

I am a professional painter and a while back we did an apartment where the lady had green countertops and she wanted a purple to go with it. I thought, lady do you really know what you want. Turns out she did. It was absolutely beautiful!

By Maddy07/02/2008

Hello you can probably paint the walls a very pale green and leave the cabinets white or you can paint the wall a very pale peach color with the cabinets still white. Peach and dark green look great together. Good Luck!

By Stngray (Guest Post)07/02/2008

If I had those dark green countertops, I would make the walls a very, very light, creamy avocado color. I would keep the floors light because dark is harder to clean than white. What color floor you choose would depend on the material you have in mind. Keep in mind I'm not a decorator. Good luck!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: What Color to Paint Kitchen with Dark Green Counter Tops

I need advice on paint colors for my kitchen/dining room. It's all one big room. I have dark green counter tops, deep brown floral curtains, cream appliances, and oak cabinets. Should I go with a lighter celery green or paint a color that is complete opposite? Basically, my kitchen colors are dark green and brown. Your advice is appreciated!

Tina from Lebanon, OR

RE: What Color To Paint Kitchen With Dark Green Counter Tops

If you stick with white, you can't go wrong. (11/19/2007)

By MCW

I had that trouble too. My counters were brown. I found a sample of it and went to Home Depot and literally held the sample up in front of the wall of paint samples and picked out six or so that caught my eye - my kitchen is now a deep pumpkin orange and we put up molding to "separate" the living room and kitchen into two. I painted the living room a sage green. I love it! (11/19/2007)

RE: What Color to Paint Kitchen with Dark Green Counter Tops

I love the idea of celery with the dark green! Go for it! (11/19/2007)

By MartyD

Something in the orange/coral/pink family would lighten things up. (11/19/2007)

By perfume and powder

How about something in the yellow family? I just painted a bathroom a color called Caribbean Sunset. It's sort of a light mango yellow color, and it looks awesome against the dark espresso brown cabinets. (11/20/2007)

By frontierrog

I love my dark green counters. We used Tera Cota on the kitchen walls, it looks great. (11/20/2007)

By Donna B.

I have a kitchen with dark counter tops, the celery green will be overdoing it with the green. I have a yellow/green color that looks terrific and definitely shows off the cabinets and counters in my open room/kitchen, I extended it to the entire room and have the area above the fireplace painted orange .. excellent. (11/20/2007)

By susan

Try using your creativity and a template or two with a white or light yellow background. Green apples or pears would be nice. (11/20/2007)

By MRS B 58

I would choose a pink color, something very muted. It would tie the other colors together.Pink goes very well with brown and dark green. Take a curtain panel to the paint store and find a paint chip the color closest to your counter top, and with the two of them find a pink that would work with both colors. (11/21/2007)

By Laura

Thank you all so much for your advice! I have some good ideas rolling around in my head now. [: (11/23/2007)

By Tina

Lots of choices! Home Depot is a great resource. Try deeper shades of yellow, mustard to ocher. Anything in the WARM reds would be great. Brick, warm burgundy, terra cotta, pumpkin, coral, peach, etc. For less contrast try a lighter shade of one of the existing colors, lighter greens or tan. Look at your brown floral fabric. Is there a color in the print that you especially like? Use the print as a guide when choosing colors. That way you know it won't clash with the upholstery and the floral will actually help pull everything together! (11/23/2007)

By Holly S.

How about the color of your appliances but a darker shade. (11/25/2007)

By Lily May

I'm thinging of a deep orange for my kitchen counter top is mixed oranges cabinets r dark oak app.r black (12/28/2007)

By jody