Craft Ideas for Hospital Activities Department

I volunteer once a week at a local hospital in the activities department. After 3 years I'm running out of ideas. I need suggestions. On the average, 12 - 15 residents come in to participate so I must have enough material/supplies for at least 30 of the same projects.

These folks are at different levels, some are more flexible/capable than others. So far they have made greeting cards, holders, painted on wood, made plant signs, etc.
I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

By Dolly from Renovo, PA

You could make rice warmers. I used a tube sock, cut off the feet, sew up one end, then filled with rice, sew it closed. Heat this in the microwave for 2 minutes, and you have an instant heating pad.

You can make stress balls out of balloons. Take heavy latex balloon, small funnel, Q-tip or small paint brushes to help pack all-purpose flour into the balloon. Tie knot in the end and you have a squishy stress ball.

How long do you meet with them? Can you teach them to knit or crochet? You could make washcloths or placemats or hot pads or scarves. What about doing some wall hangings. You need sticks and scraps of fabric, yarn, large eye blunt needles, glue and scissors. They could decorate the largest piece of plain fabric (8x10 or whatever size you want.) Cut out other fabric in fun shapes in a cool design. If you have fiber fill stuffing, some of the added shapes could be stuffed and sewn on. Then sew the top edge around a stick using colorful yarn. Thread a piece of yarn under the stick and fabric to hang on a wall. The bottom edge of fabric could be fringed or hang beads. I'd have more suggestions if I knew how long you meet and how often. Good luck! You can find good ideas online art teacher projects for unlimited ideas.

Thank you, PainterLee, for your suggestions. I meet with the residents once a week for 2-1/2 - 3 hrs. I began with the idea of teaching the interested folks to crochet but none were capable of handling the process. They seem to do well with painting on wood and coloring stamped greeting cards with color pencils. I also have punched a ton of paper flowers for them to assemble & put on cards. My partner and I usually have to put the finishing touches at home. We really do enjoy the ladies (mostly) - sometimes a man or two will show up. Did I mention that these folks are 90 + or -.

Crafts AdviceFebruary 26, 2010
Mom Decorating Hospital Room for Daughter
Decorating Your Hospital Room
A signed heart as a hospital present.
Hospital Gift Ideas
Woman in Home-Based Baking Business
Starting a Home-Based Baking Business
Sprouting Garlic
Grocery Store Gardening