Treating Red and Itchy Outer Ears

The outside of my ears is red and very itchy. I have never had this before and am not sure what to treat them with. Any ideas?

By Viv from UK

My doctor advised and it has worked wonders, I use plain, over the counter Hydrocortizone cream. Here you can even get it at the Dollar store... "where everything's a dollar". : )

I heard on the news last week that some cell phones contain nickel, and if you are allergic to nickel, you will get itchy ears. I agree with Summer, just use hydrocortizone cream from the dollar store, but you might also try an antihistamine. These are sold at the dollar store also, usually with the name "Allergy Relief" on the package.

Or if you have been in the sun a lot it could be from that. In that case apply some aloe juice.

I was also going to mention using over the counter hydrocortizone but just in case it might be that you're allergic to nickel you really should be tested for it.

It's possible that you are allergic to nickel, but more common would be hair styling products!! I don't know the length of your hair, but if it brushes against your ear at all, that could be the culprit. Anything from shampoo, conditioner, hair sprays or gels, hair color etc. Hydrocortisone cream will relieve the itch or you could use all natural Witch Hazel to the same effect.

Have you thought about going to a Doctor?

April 15, 2009 Flag

Has anyone ever used Mycolog 2 for their itchy ears? If so, did it work? My ENT doctor has prescribed it for my itchy ears, they are driving me CRAZY.

By Lonso from Medford, OR

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Doctor told me my ears itched because I was rubbing all the ear wax off using Q tips, and when I stop using them my ears didn't itch. Your ears need some wax.

If you are still having trouble, have an oral surgeon evaluate your jaw joints. When you open and close it moves the walls of the ear canal, and the hairs there clash with each other, causing itch. Joint trouble there can really aggravate that.

I take Zyrtec for the itch deep inside my ears caused by allergies. I think the product you would want to use would depend on the reason your ears itch and the area concerned. You havent told us whether it is the inside or the outside of your ear that itches.

Good luck

You didn't say what was causing your itchy ears or what Mycolog 2 is for but if it doesn't work, ask him to check your ears for yeast. Mine drove me crazy for years and years until a savvy doctor swabbed my ear, looked through a microscope at the result and informed me that I had yeast in my ears. He gave me some ear drops to kill the yeast and that was three years ago - no more itchy ears. Thank God!

A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Health & Beauty Home RemediesApril 13, 2011
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
A woman with swimmers ear.
Treating and Preventing Swimmers Ear
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet
🎉
🎄