Giving a Puppy Benadryl for Itchy Skin

Can I give Benadryl to my 3 month old Yorkie terrier for itchy skin? And if so, how much?

By Kelly

I wouldn't. I think she's to young and even when she is older she will be too little for you to know how much she can take. I have a yokie too. You could be bathing her to much. Try using baby shampoo and fragance free conditioner and only bath her once a month.

Please don't give dogs and cats human medication. I've read too many stories about pets becoming ill or dying because they've been given human medication. I suggest a gentle, natural, alternative medicine treatment. Take a look at Only Natural Pet . com even just for ideas. I've used a sneezing remedy for my cats from them, safe, effective, gentle!

The vet. has me give my 5lb. 9 year old dog 2.5 ml of liquid childerns benadryl for itchy bumps and skin redness. If it were me I would only do this if a trusted vet. told me to.

Benadryl is pretty safe for dogs. I have given it to my chihuahua and my pug mix, it is about 1 mg per pound of body weight, so if she is 5 lbs, about 5 mg., half of a 10 mg tablet. I don't recommend the liquid as it has some alcohol in it. But call your vet, advice is usually free!