Tatar (Dachshund - Beagle)

Tatar is a four year old mix of a Dachshund and what we believe to be Beagle. We were coming home from work on New Year's Day in 2006. As my husband turned onto a two lane country road, he spotted Tatar along with another puppy on the side of the road where someone had dumped them. It had begun to rain with a mixture of sleet and he couldn't stand to just leave them. As he was putting them inside the truck, a lady stopped and was chewing him out (she thought he was dumping them). She ended up taking one of them. I wanted a unique name for him and he was the color of a sweet potato at that time so he became our "Tatar."

The summer of 2008 while outside with us, a neighbors dog attacked him. We were told that surgery could be done but it was expensive and he might not walk again. The best thing to do was to put him down but we just couldn't. He amazed the doctors with his fast and full recovery and continues everyday to bring joy into our lives.

Tatar's favorite thing to do is to go riding to see his "Sissy" or "Bubba" (our two legged grown children, lol) who live just down the road from us. He loves digging for moles when he is outside with us. He always knows when you are feeling down and won't leave your side. He has comforted my son through surgery, became my daughter's shadow while her husband was in Iraq, not to mention myself and husband when we have needed him.

We love to go thrift stores and he knows the difference in the sacks. When we have been, he expects some sort of stuffed toy each time (which he destroys). He also likes his picture to be taken and its so hard for me to decide which one to share. He won't eat any type of dog food but will eat dry CAT food and loves chicken or bologna. My son got him hooked on drinking sweet tea from a glass which he waits patiently for you to give him after a meal!

By Legendaryjunker

Tatar is adorable! I had a female dog years ago who was a beagle,doxie mix. Charlie looked a lot like Tatar but she had longer ears. We rescued Charlie from a bad place, left out in a pen in a Wisconsin winter, had frostbitten nose and ears. She had a great life with us, but was sadly hit by a car, died instantly, still miss her. She used to sleep in the corner of the couch on her back like Tatar. Bless you for giving him a great home.

What a cutie and it's wonderful to see that you all found each other and that you take such good care of him :-)

I, too, have a dachshund mix. She is also red like Tatar and enjoys many of the same activities you described. I buy large bags of stuffed animals, baby toys and such from the thrift store for Betsy. She loves them. Betsy had a problem with Red Mange, but after many dips, she is much improved.

Thanks for the chuckle today...funny how an animal can steal your heart & bring such joy to your life and ask SO little in return. Thanks for brightening my day!

Beagle Mix
Beagle Mix Photos
Pets Pet PagesMay 10, 2010
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mix
Dachshund and Schnauzer Mixed Breed Information and Photos
Dachshund/Pomeranian
Dachshund/Pomeranian Mix Photos
Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
🎄