Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Pool Chemicals

Can a person make their own pool chemicals? It really cost a lot of money to keep my above ground 14' x 18' ring-style pool clear.

Joy from Summers, AR

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Cher (Guest Post)08/05/2008

Can this bleach method be used for smaller above ground pools? My pool is 3ft deep and 10 ft wide, round. How much bleach should be used for this size pool?

By Vicki H. (Guest Post)07/23/2008

Is there also a chlorine stabilizer you can buy in the grocery store? I have been using the bleach and it does work but in Oklahoma where the temps are in the 90's I seem to have a problem with the chlorine evaporating too fast.

By Vicki H. (Guest Post)07/23/2008

By Don (Guest Post)07/14/2008

I used to use bottled pool chlorine, then I compared the label to ordinary household bleach. It's the same stuff. Same percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite, but much cheaper. You only need about a cup per day, depending on the pool size.

By Sabrina Barr [19]05/30/2008

Just use plain ol' clorax. About 3 gallons is what I do and it works great.

By Chris O.08/19/2006

We also have an above ground pool and my husband just this summer began using bleach instead of pool shock to clear up our pool. I was skeptical about it but he said a lot of people he found online use regular household chemicals instead of chlorine & shock. Here's some information on replacing your pool chemicals with bleach, baking soda & borax: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html In fact, looking at this page there is a lot of good information on pool maintenance. Maybe I'll start taking care of the pool now too!