Homemade Pool Chemicals

Can a person make their own pool chemicals? It really cost a lot of money to keep my above ground 14 x 18 foot ring-style pool clear.

Joy from Summers, AR

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

We also have an above ground pool and my husband just this summer began using bleach instead of pool shock to clear up our pool. I was skeptical about it but he said a lot of people he found online use regular household chemicals instead of chlorine & shock. Here's some information on replacing your pool chemicals with bleach, baking soda & borax: http://www.poolsolutions.com/gd/grocery.html In fact, looking at this page there is a lot of good information on pool maintenance. Maybe I'll start taking care of the pool now too!

Just use plain ol' clorax. About 3 gallons is what I do and it works great.

I used to use bottled pool chlorine, then I compared the label to ordinary household bleach. It's the same stuff. Same percentage of Sodium Hypochlorite, but much cheaper. You only need about a cup per day, depending on the pool size.

Is there also a chlorine stabilizer you can buy in the grocery store? I have been using the bleach and it does work but in Oklahoma where the temps are in the 90's I seem to have a problem with the chlorine evaporating too fast.

Can this bleach method be used for smaller above ground pools? My pool is 3ft deep and 10 ft wide, round. How much bleach should be used for this size pool?

Answer

boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance
Home and Garden Home Improvement Pools and Hot TubsAugust 19, 2006
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
backyard pool
Using Swimming Pool Water for Plants
Homemade Beauty Products
Storing Homemade Beauty Products
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 15, 2016 at 8:05:45 PM on 10.0.0.79 in 326 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.