Feeding Irises

What do I feed Irises? I've had these irises since we bought the house in 2002. I've divided them and replanted them in many locations. I was told to feed them Bone Meal in the fall (something I haven't done yet). Is this good for them and if so where do I get the bone meal? The color has faded over the years in the leaves. I think that's due to improper feeding, am I correct? I also want to re-do the flower bed where they are now. Can I dig them up now, fix the bed and replant them now?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

By tomarhoch from Tonopah, NV

Cut off dead blossoms and dead bloom stalks when the iris has stopped blossoming, but don't cut back the leaves until they begin to turn brown in the fall. The leaves are needed to produce next year's blooms. When you do cut, leave a fan shape about six inches long. Feed your irises a teaspoon of bone meal every fall and when you replant. You can feed again a month before they usually bloom if you like, but they are quite tolerant of just one feeding.get bone meal from Lowe's or where flowers are sold,I sug to move them after they bloom,for more info search for"how to grow irises",good luck.

First Iris Blooms
Growing Irises
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersJuly 30, 2009
Deadheading Irises
Deadheading Irises
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Winterizing Bearded Irises
Winterizing Bearded Irises