AdviceDogs

New Dog Not Eating or Eliminating

I picked up my new toy Pom on Monday, Dec. 27th in the evening. Co-Co seems to be adjusting pretty well accept for a couple things. She really isn't eating and she has not eliminated inside nor outside. It's going on day 2 and I'm getting a little worried now. She is drinking her water so at the least I thought she should have peed by now. She is 19 months old. I have a pee pad in the house and I take her out 3 times a day to eliminate and nothing. Please help!

By Yanie from Oak Park, IL

Simply going on day 2 at her new home without eating or eliminating is not "totally" alarming as your dog may be stressed about the new environment. At 19 months of age a dog can handle a few days of fasting. However, I would not let it go on much longer. She might be drinking a minimum of water that is not actually filling her bladder. Are you sure she has not peed anywhere?

I would call my vet after 48 hours and ask for advice. Even if you have to use an emergency service since we are in the middle of the holidays, the cost will pale if you choose to do nothing. Maybe she is picking up on your nervousness and it is adding to her fears. Have you tried hand feeding her and talking calmly to encourage the feeding?

Long story short, call your vet. Chances are she will be fine with a little extra TLC! Good luck and best wishes.

Please call your veterinarian and taker her in for a checkup, he can advise you. Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback. I believe CoCo was just adjusting to her new environment. She is doing very well. Now to train her to go outside to eliminate. ;-)