Garden: Apples

Here is a picture of my apple tree this year. I have a tree with several varieties all grafted together, so it can self pollinate. We always call it our "Frankenapple". It was pretty loaded with apples but we should have thinned them at some point and probably need to do more research on getting rid of the pests.

I picked as many as I could reach last night and I got maybe two bushels of good apples with some spots. The worst ones went right back into the compost bin. We lost a lot on the ground too, and some had definitely been feeding some happy birds.

They aren't the most lovely apples, but they will make some wonderful applesauce, and maybe some apple butter if I feel ambitious. I'll try to get out and get the ones that are high up this weekend.

By jess

Wow, nice apple tree!

Looks like a good year for apples. I think they liked the rain.

Photos GardenOctober 6, 2009
Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
A pile of apple slices.
Freezing Apples
Green apple sitting on the lid of a canning jar.
Canning Apples