Blooming Schlumbergera (Christmas Cactus) Photos

Category Garden
This guide contains blooming Schlumbergera (Christmas cactus) photos. Although not really a cactus, these plants are popular during the winter holidays for their colorful indoor blooms.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My Christmas cactus bloomed just in time for the holiday this morning. You can see another blossom ready to open, maybe I'll see it on Christmas morning. It is one of my favorite plants because even in the coldest days of winter I can still see the beauty of a flower.

By Myst

pink flower

Comment Like this photo? 22

Photo Description
This is supposed to be a Christmas cactus, but it has bloomed only in the last week. My husband said it must be an Easter cactus. This is the first time it has had so many blooms at once. Beautiful. I took many photos of it as it was blooming. It is in a smaller pot sitting in the larger pot. We are going to transplant it (when it quits blooming).

Photo Location
Taken in Osgoode, Ontario, Canada at our patio door in our dining room.

Comment Like this photo? 4

I have grown Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera) for many years. Living in a mild and temperate climate, I get blooms a few times a year, and the colors are magnificent. Do you have any Christmas cactus? I hope you do as they are easy to grow and you can produce new plants by taking cuttings (break them off by hand) and they readily grow in my beach type climate. When my daughters were growing up, I used to tell them: "Christmas is Coming! The Christmas cactus are blooming! The blossoms are such a marvelous and very colorful reminder of the Holiday Season.

By Bob35 from Santa Barbara, CA

pink and white bloom

Comment Like this photo? 6

A friend once called this bloom, 'Angel Wings.' The blooms will soon be opening in large numbers. Photographed with a digital camera in the morning under the patio cover. Christmas cactus are fun to raise and do well in our mild southern California climate.

My Mother always grew "Christmas cactus." When we would visit her at Christmas, there would be a few of the plants outside in the back garden, blooming in their majestic colors, adding beauty to the Holiday.

Thor Nille is one of my Christmas cactus plants. I tell my friends, "Christmas is coming, the Christmas cactus are blooming." They bloom so prolifically in our mild coastal climate and are outdoors plants the year round. If you have Christmas cactus, you can easily start a new plant by breaking off a branch at a stem and planting it in good potting soil, and it will eventually sprout. What fun for the gardeners!

By Bobby33

Comment Like this photo? 2

The Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera) are not real Cactus plants. They are in the succulent family. These two are currently blooming on my North facing patio in partial shade.

By Bobby33

Comment Like this photo? 4

In our mild and rather warmish climate near the coastal plain of S. California, our Christmas cactus often bloom in the summer. Here is one from August, 2016. Others on my Schlumbergera (name of Christmas cactus family) plant area are budding out now in September, 2016. The colors are amazing and neon!

hot pink and white cactus bloom

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Thor Olga is one of the first Christmas cactus (Schlumbergera) that I obtained. It always is so attractive with its red and white colors against the green of the foliage of the plant itself.

Thor Olga Flower Blooming

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

What nicer gardening decor than a blooming cactus. They make you come alive when they decide to bloom. I am lucky with the two large plants I have, because they bloom each season.

red christmas cactus

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I left my Christmas cactus outside all summer and all fall. (I live in the south.) I brought it inside on Thanksgiving and it began to bloom. The salmon colored cactus was a gift from a lovely neighbor and it's now one of my favorite plants of all time!

By Marilyn from Colfax, LA

Answers:

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

Your cactus is beautiful. I have 2 and only one was covered in blooms. I live in NC and also leave mine out all spring, summer, and fall. Do you get something like spider webs on yours while they are outside? I have to use a soft bristle toothbrush to clean mine. Take care! (12/19/2007)

By Jan.

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

Marylin, Thanks for sharing this beautiful picture with us I love it. I never could have any luck with them, but looks like you sure can. It's beautiful! Thanks for sharing. (12/19/2007)

By Teresa, VA

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

Your Christmas cactus is beautiful! Thanks for sharing it with us. I love them, but don't have one, so it is nice to see them in full bloom. (12/19/2007)

By Joy of Delaware

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

Beautiful, beautiful. Don't believe I have ever seen so many blooms on one plant. I have quite a few Christmas cactus plants, but they do not bloom anymore. Tell me your secret because I want my plants to bloom again.
Keep up the good work. (12/19/2007)

By Lula from MS

RE: Christmas Cactus In Bloom

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

I'm so jealous! I have tried Christmas cactus so many times, they never grow for me. (12/19/2007)

By PICO

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

A lady who works at the city Administration office has one like yours and says her secret is to use the plant fertilizer spikes for blooming plants. Do you use them too? You must surely do something? Hers is indoors all year long, with sparse light from windows in her office. (12/20/2007)

By Lynda

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

I do the same thing to mine. I live on the northern Arkansas-Oklahoma state line. Mine blooms every year for Christmas. My grandmother did the same to hers, she lived in northern Ohio, and when she was alive, hers bloomed yearly also. I think that punch of cold weather in the fall helps. I take mine in right before a heavy frost, but don't use any special fertilizer or baby it. (12/20/2007)

By susanmajp

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

My grandmother had a large Christmas cactus it always bloomed so beautiful for her. Mine, however, never blooms.
Yours is very beautiful, thanks for sharing your picture.
(01/10/2008)

By cupcake04

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

My wife has one brought down to Texas from Colorado it's doing famously down here. She loves it too and frequently photographs it too. (01/21/2008)

By John

Christmas Cactus In Bloom

I have a Christmas cactus that has been in my mother's family for 100 years. I start feeding it lightly when I put it outside in spring with a low strength fertilizer. It is on the north when outside, but get the early morning sun, which it loves. I bring it inside when the nights are in the 50s.

I have also added one that belonged to a friend of my mother's, and several new ones. I have red, white, salmon, and hot pink. Good Luck! (10/26/2008)

By Toebeanie