Making Your Own Panty Liners

Rather than continuously buying disposable panty liners, you can make them at home if you have basic sewing skills. This is a guide about making your own panty liners.

July 26, 2010 Flag

I stopped buying panty liners long ago. Since being laid off my job, I have been looking for extra ways to make money go farther. Instead of throwing old socks away, I have always kept them to use for other purposes like cleaning rags; I now keep them for yet another use. I lay the sock flat and cut up one side and toe, opening it up to one piece of cloth. I kept one panty liner for a pattern. I cut several layers from the pattern from the sock and discard the scraps. I had some old quilted place mats I never used and an old mattress pad that was never used. From these, I cut several layers from the pattern. I purchased flannel baby blankets for the top and bottom layers of the pads. I then pinned and sewed the layers of sock material and misc. quilted place mat fabric and mattress pad fabric together with a zig-zag stitch on the sewing machine. Make sure the fabrics are sandwiched between the top and bottom flannel layers. I just top-stitched and left the edges raw. Flannel doesn't slip. This has been a real money saver for me, since these paper purchases do add up over the years. Just launder with other clothing.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

This is a great idea! If the task of making your own seems a bit daunting, there is a company that makes them for purchase called GladRags.

Can I use blue jean material or pantyhose? I seem to have a lot of that in the house.It is pretty expensive for me to keep buying and I use them also for bladder control leakage. I am 33 and weak bladders run in my family. I would like to know how to make them also.

I've done this for years and none that I've sewn has ever worn out yet. It's actually a necessity for me - I am allergic to adhesives. Just try to find a commercial product without adhesives. I've never used socks, but I will try them next (well bleached). I use old flannel shirts or nightgowns (one gown will make multiple liners) and the remnants of several fleece projects. I use 3 or 4 layers of flannel and one outside layer of fleece. The good quality fleece allows air circulation but liquid won't usually go through. If you don't have fleece, you could repurpose the remains of a broken umbrella or an old raincoat, though I would enclose any slick material under a layer of flannel (mark it so you know which side goes away from the body). Making a pattern with flaps, you can also repurpose the shirt buttons to keep the liner in place. I generally use snaps.

Hello, at first, I thought that finding the recommended materials would end up costing me more $ than the $1-7 a mo for disposable. The nylon exterior to prevent leaks peaked my interest. I just have 1 question: How to make it stick? I am full figured & name name brand liners (w wings) still shift & end up bunched up out the backside of panties? Any suggestion?

Make Your Own MiscellaneousMay 29, 2013
Panty Liners
Cleaning a Stuck Panty Liner From Clothing
Storing Cupcake Liners
Storing Cupcake Liners
Stack of Cupcake Liners
Using Cupcake Liners
Panty Liners
Uses for Panty Liners