FleasPets

Does Vinegar Work for Fleas and Cats?

Hi everyone- I have been reading about using vinegar for fleas on dogs but what about cats? My daughter has 2 cats and they never go outside, but somehow fleas get in the house on clothes or something. Both cats are older and a little on the chubby side. Thanks.

By cybergrannie from Florida

I believe most people use apple cider vinegar. If they were my pets, I would contact a vet before giving something as acidic as vinegar. Who knows, it might even be good for them. I would think some finicky cats would refuse to drink vinegar water, but there are other ways to use apple cider vinegar to keep fleas off of cats and dogs. One is a vinegar bath or vinegar rinse after a bath or you can use apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle.

I would not use vinegar for cats. Cats need a natural pH 6:00 - 6.50. If the pH drops lower, they can get calcium oxalate crystals in their urine and these are expensive to have a vet remove. Vinegar will lower body pH. If a cat's pH is raised about the optimal pH, it can cause struvite

http://www.pete  142&aid=2729

Jim in Jax

I have used Braggs apple cider vinegar 1/4 cup per gallon of water in my cat colony for at least 10 yrs with no health problems and very few fleas

There are several topical applications for fleas Frontlin and advantage are very popular and work.

Also, a pill Capstar is terrific. I get the large dog size and break it up in quarters and put 1 quarter in a pill pocket -soft cat food with a hole and you just put the pill inside it ] and control as fleas in florida are horrible. amazon.com is great place to order products. Good luck, I have 12 cats and am doing really good with flea control now.

I'm focusing on flea dander/dust wherever I can find it, especially in the bedding and carpet. I vacuum often, and change the cat's bedding daily, which seems to be working on my cats which never go outdoors. I still have too many surfaces dust can build up on. I hope to get that corrected when my son can help me in June/ July.

I cannot afford to experiment with various kinds of products, so I prefer to try sanitation and good health. I do plan, however to use Neem Shampoo on them when it's warm enough. I will dilute it to a weaker than straight solution, and rinse well. It may be strong but it should work, I'm told. Good luck. : )

I don't know about vinegar, but food grade diatomaceous earth works great! Our outdoor tom likes a dust bath anyway, so I dust him with DE once a week. It also works internally on parasites. We put DE on the hamburger fingers we were feeding our GSH pointer pups, the vet was amazed that none of them had worms on their first puppy visit.

Oh, it also works on people. I know, a yukky fact of life!

Yes, DE FOOD GRADE ONLY!!! is amazing. We discovered it when we got infested with fleas in Florida. I don't like using all those chemicals on my cats. This is natural. I asked a Vet about it once & he kinda avoided talking about it. I thought they would encourage using it.

I keep seeing people reccommend that you use Capstar for flea removal. Please understand that it is only going to get rid of the fleas on your pet for 24 hours. After that, you'd better have the flea problem under control. The long and short of things is if you're going to spend your money then use one that will last for a month. If the problem is bad, it won't be easy. Using the monthly dosages for a while will keep the fleas down but doesn't eliminate them in house, yard or places pet goes. You will have to follow up with more measures. Read the post on the lemon for on pet and use a safe spray like Talstar for house and yard. I used Talstar last year and still use the monthly Advantage.

I do have cats and foster. As of now I have 12 cats in my house. If one will check cats are susceptible to utis. Apple cider vinegar helps that issue. I do add acv to my cats water a 1/4 tsp. each water bowl as well as use it to disinfect my house so no cat odor and spray it on my cats (one of the kittens I fostering had fleas and was to young to treat with a bath). About 2 weeks of daily acv and no fleas, and had healthy cats and no it doesn't affect a cats ph level. I did ask my vet it actually hydrates my cats.

To get a cat to drink the acv water add it before the water they love it. I take kittens that people say there dying and with goats milk bottle feeding and acv people are astonished acv breaks down uti crystals which male cats are susceptible to. I found this out the hard way. I lost my one cat to a uti and since than swear by acv thanks to my vet and animal control officers suggesting it :)

I have been adding a couple drops of apple cider vinegar to my dog and two cats water bowls. I also have a ferrel cat in my backyard who is drinking water with acv in its bowl. The reason I am trying this is because last year after I put advantage on the back of my dogs neck, she had a horrible reaction a few hours later: running around with her eyes bulging, dragging her body to try to rub the back of her neck...it was horrible!

I started pouring water on her neck to wash it off-this was around midnight! The look in her eyes was of agony, and that was the last advantage I will ever purchase. I've got my dawn diluted of course for their baths and will try acv/water mist for their coats...I drink it and hear its called liquid gold, because its so good for you...natural is best! I am so sad to see commercials pushing flea collars again. I thought those cruel things had gone by the way. Of course I will do more research on the cat ph topic with acv.

Vinegar never caused any problems with any animal or human. That is, unless you drink a bottle of it every day. It improves proper pH level. So when you hear some fearmonger discourage you, then you can bet they are going to send you to the Vet. Vets aren't everything. People need to learn to be self reliant.

I am going to try this with my cats for fleas. I have used ACV for my male cat'ss UTI issue...BTW - ACV does not CAUSE crystallization in the urethra, but breaks down the crystals. I've had 3 vets recommend this method even above their own costly methods and prescriptions!

why would drinkingACV in water bowel get rid of fleas??? does it come out there pores or something???

i gave my cat acv internally and he lost his voice for 3 days. it works but i would never give it to him internally again! only topically

Two drops to a bowl of water

Pets FleasMay 11, 2009
A cat scratching itself because it has fleas.
Treating a Cat With Fleas
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 8:52:02 AM on 10.0.2.166 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.