FabricCrafts

Covering Ikea Round Wicker Hassock

I have a decorating question. I have a round wicker hassock which I bought from IKEA several years ago (so you know it is still very solid). There are spaces around the sides that are broken and look unsightly, thanks to our cat. I would like to cover it with fabric, but have no idea how to adhere the fabric to the item. I hate to dispose of the hassock altogether, because other than around the sides, it is still a good piece and very sturdy.

From reading so many posts, I know there are so many great crafters out there, help. lol. Grateful for any and all suggestions.

By Linda from New York City

I made a slip cover like thing for my damaged laundry hamper. I just took a nice skirt that still managed to look awful on me and fitted it over the hamper. I pulled it tight in the back, and sewed it on by hand. Stuffed the bottom under it, and sewed it to itself on the oposite side. I think this could work for your hassock. So, think wrap, not adhere.

Londa

Three basics - fabric of choice, velcro self adhesive pieces to make it fit correctly and glue gun to pleat the fabric or adhere to the base, then create a skirt. look at bedskirts, already made and pleated that may be on sale, cut off what you don't need and glue to your hearts content!

Carol and Londa have given you a couple of good ideas, but if you still have the cat, I would suggest you use a very sturdy fabric like canvas because I can guarantee that your cat will go right to the hassock and try to shred it. I've had years of experience with lots of cats and canvas was the only fabric that seemed to survive them. I even had one who would lick off the spray that was supposed to repel him! You can buy canvas with various designs. Good luck!

Dear Linda, Why not decoupage the thing with a heavy fabric such as has been suggested? You can use any white craft glue and just paint it on and stick on the fabric. You can then varnash it and maybe then your kittie will not want to scratch it. Good luck. I have used this tecnique on lots of baskets so I know it works well and stands up to time although I don't have a cat scratching at them!

My cats love our footstool. #1. YES. USE A HEAVY MATERIAL! #2 I flipped the footstool over and used my staple gun to keep the material in place. It's easy to remove when I decide to change it again. Good luck.

Crafts FabricJuly 10, 2008
Wicker Furniture
Waterproofing Wicker Furniture
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
Decorating Ikea Mirrors
Wicker Basket
Repairing Wicker Baskets
Painted Wicker Chair
Painting Wicker Furniture
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 17, 2017 at 5:30:21 PM on 10.0.1.185 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.