Make Quilt From Old Sweatshirts - Categories:

IdeasQuilting

Make Quilt From Old Sweatshirts

Sweatshirts can be recycled to make good quilts. They are warm enough that just a backing rather than adding batting may be sufficiently warm if a lightweight quilt is desired. I often alternate sweatshirt materials with jean material. At a thrift store look for 2X and 3X sizes as they have a lot of material in them. You might want to cut around lettering and pictures on the shirts. I prefer buying plain shirts if I can find them.

By halstein from Valley City, ND

Old Sweatshirt
Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance
Top Comment

I did this with some of my late mom's old sweatshirts and some of my fave tshirts. There are bunches of places online that will do it for you - for $200 or more. I did some research online and got a couple basic quilters books and did it myself. pretty easy!

I saw this idea last year on Rules of Engagement. Her husband had stacks and stacks of old tees and sweats from his high school and college days plus sports events and music concerts. He refused to part with them because of the memories.

She cut out the tee/sweat fronts and made a quilt for their bed. I thought it was a great idea and have a box full of shirts from all the places I visited on vacations that I plan on doing the same thing with.

Of course the TV show had to have a joke. Her husband loved the quilt but then he sat up all night every night pointing to each square and telling her stories about it. LOL. She had to put the quilt in their spare bedroom so she could get some sleep. :)

How about a picture of these quilts? Sounds like agreat idea and project.

Crafts Quilting IdeasJuly 7, 2010
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Up close photo of a colorful koi quilt.
Cleaning a Quilt
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 25, 2016 at 10:48:38 AM on 10.0.2.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.